Opinions On Stride Managed Switches.

JZerb

Looking into using a Stride Managed network switch in an upcoming build versus a Stratix 5700. Just looking for others experiences, comments or concerns with using one over the other. Nothing too crazy in this build, (9) PF525's, a 5580, an HMI and (3) 1734-AENTR racks.

I have used a lot of their unmanaged 5 port switches and a handful of the Stride VPN routers and have no complaints about quality. The only valid complaint I can make is about the din rail clip on the metal housing versions. It is one that is spring loaded and very tight. I have gotten more than one blood blister trying to unhook them.

Ya those DIN clips are quite a motherf***er.

I too have use their unmanaged switches quite a bit, I just wasn't sure how their managed stuff worked.

5700 does DLR, is that something you need based on your network design?

MY view is too stay away from managed switch unless you have a valid reason to need them.

I often use managed switches (over unmanaged) in networks for increased diagnostic capabilities (in a Siemens system). We can get things like port down alarms (or wrong device plugged in), and we can also do cable verification directly from the switch. You can also mirror ports, for wireshark checks.

The diagnostics are less useful if your whole network is covered by one 16 port switch, but when there are many switches chained together, it can get very helpful very quickly.

Most of the traditional features you look for in a managed switch (VLANS, RSTP, etc), don't end up being of much use to me.

5700 does DLR, is that something you need based on your network design?

MY view is too stay away from managed switch unless you have a valid reason to need them.

As is my view as well. Not being a networking genius myself when I discussed this project with an AB techconnect person they highly recommended I go with a managed switch in this application, so that’s what I plan to do.

I've got a couple dozen Stride managed switches here, both pure copper, and copper/fiber. Zero problems. I also keep six or ten on the shelf, pre-configured, for a quick swap out if another switch fails.

We’ve had no downtime or issues from our use of Stride switches. However, I prefer Moxa for both their reliability and consistent implementation of CIP across their EDS line, which makes the broad-brush service/status AOI I’ve developed work without the need for repeat work for each specific model.

That said, a current customer of ours insists on being supplied a single large Stratix switch for any system we ship them. Adding to this, their five-minute boot times, clunky configuration, cost, confusing model naming, and feature/licensing sprawl is enough to drive one mad. Anything else is superior.

We’ve had no downtime or issues from our use of Stride switches. However, I prefer Moxa for both their reliability and consistent implementation of CIP across their EDS line, which makes the broad-brush service/status AOI I’ve developed work without the need for repeat work for each specific model.

That said, a current customer of ours insists on being supplied a single large Stratix switch for any system we ship them. Adding to this, their five-minute boot times, clunky configuration, cost, confusing model naming, and feature/licensing sprawl is enough to drive one mad. Anything else is superior.

I've read elsewhere the boot time being that long. How is that even possible/acceptable to use in an application?

I've read elsewhere the boot time being that long. How is that even possible/acceptable to use in an application?

The boot time is actually only that long if smartport capability is not in use. Otherwise, they support QuickConnect and can be much lower than that time.
As for the configuration, once you take a backup of one of the switches, you can import that back into a new project and just replace IP addresses if you would like to do NAT. I am using it as as per Rockwell's Converged Ethernet Architecture approach, with the 1783-bms20cgn switch, So I also use the NAT capability.

As for the licensing, it's only when you purchase the initial switch that you really need to worry about that(Unless I'm missing something), capabilities are in the part number. Just buy the right part number from Rockwell and you're all set, or so I think. All in all I really like the Stratix 5700 models...