Optimization of parallel variable-speed-driven centrifugal pumps operation

rudiawan

dear all..
i am designing the Sea Water Intake pump which the 4 pumps will be operated parallel, and 1 pump will be as stand by pump
The pump data as follows :
Type : vertical turbine pump
Flow : 5000 m3/hr
Head : 20 meters
Electric Motor : 2500 KW, the motor provided with VSD (variable speed drive)
The operation pump speed at normal condition is 740 rpm

I am developing to prepare the operation procedure for the pump operation, may i get the advise how to ramp up the pump speed parallel and safely, from 0 rpm to operation speed (740 rpm)
your advise will be appreciated

regards
rudiawan

Attachments

• sea_water_intake_pump (1).jpg
    sea_water_intake_pump (1).jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 8
Log your run times on all motors
Stager the run hours the last thing you want the 5 of the motors with about the same high hours and failing about the same time
Make sure you install isolation valves on each pump so if you have a failure you can pull it out while the others keep running
I had a client that didn't and they had a failure and they had to run for about 8 months with no backup until they could shut down for the yearly maintenance
Getting the run times spread out takes time but it could save you major failure later