OSHA Safety Req'ts with machine Retrofits

I am being ask to replace several old automate 31 and 32 control systems with new RS Logix 5000 systems, all of this equipment is 30 plus years old. The machines vary from paper rewinders to wood chip reclaimers. My question is at what point is it required that the machines be updated to present safety standards??

Mark. To answer what standards require upgrading of machines.
ANSWER few and far between.

So what it really comes down to in the workplace is
"how much does management care about employee safety?

OSHA is no threat exept piddly fines.
OSHA cannot send anyone to jail.
There was a case in Chicago where upper management did go to jail but that was done by regional law enforcement not OSHA. That involved total disregard for employee safety and human life - it did involve a fatality if recall correctly. Process was silver reclamation using cyanide.

The biggest real reason for employee safety is money and liability. Any family member can bring 3rd party lawsuit.

Another reason is Public Relations.

THe best is management management ethics and moral responsibility. In my experience most get at best a C. Worked for a couple F's - but not for long.

I suppose I sound biased and maybe bitter. I did fatality investigations.
Dan Bentler