OT - Apologies to Dandrade and countrymen

Ken M

Hi dandrade

I think this is the only Internet forum where I have any contact at all with someone from Brazil. I'd like to offer my apologies and sympathy to all Brazilians following the horrible accident resulting in the murder of one of your innocent countrymen by British police at the end of last week.

I don't live in London and I don't have any contacts with police as either friends or family, so I have no interest to defend, but I can assure you that this behaviour is extremely untypical. Even the most secret and least publicised anti-terrorism police teams we have in this country are not regarded as trigger-happy. If anything, the more highly-trained the teams are, the more restrained and careful they are before deploying their force as there is usually only one outcome, as in this case.

I have still to hear or read a clear description of all the circumstances surround the tragic event last week, so I don't know what went wrong. However the authorities here have been very quick to acknowledge the error and I suspect there is a lot of activity taking place between governments, police authorities, and the family which has not yet been released to the general public.

I hope your translation package is capable of converting this message in to something you can comprehend. I know we English speakers often have problems interpreting your postings, but please don't let an issue like this stop us trying to understand one another.

Regards

Ken.

Ken

I can understand where you are coming from on this, but....

My first reaction when this news broke last Friday was 'At last! Our Police are taking a shoot to kill policy'. Unfortunately, this time it is an innocent person who has been shot dead. That is tragic.

If this guy had been a suicide bomber and the Police hadn't taken action, questions would have been asked. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

On what I have heard about this shooting I will defend our armed Police officers. They challenged this person, he was told to "Stop! Armed Police", he ran away, at which point the decision was made to shoot. I cannot apportion any blame on the Police for this. If I was in the Police officers shoes, I think I would have done the same, especially as at the moment we are in a high state of alert after the failed bomb attacks the day before.

Having said that, my condolences go to the family and friends of this innocent Brazilian national.

Paul

I agree with everythig that's been said so far. I'm a Brit currently residing in the USA, and I'm glad the police have finally taken a stand.
I have personally witnessed bombings in London and Birmingham by the IRA, and I've seen how devastating this action can be to everyone involved.

I'm very sad at the outcomeof this incident, it's very unfortunate. But it makes me wonder if any of us have really heard the true story yet?
Hopefully we will all learn more from this in time and it may become clear how this tradegy occured and more importantly how we can avoid the same thing happening again.

My condolences to anyone involved.

Along this line, we have several correspondents here from Egypt. I want to extend my sympathies to them for the recent terrorist bombing.

The terrorists are the enemies of all civilization!

Paul,

(and others)

I'm sorry if it did not come across accurately, but I was not intending to allocate blame to anyone in this instance. The responsibility is ours, however. It was not an accident. It was intentional. And yes, it was an error.

I know how quickly some of my countrymen are to point the finger of blame at all of Islam or every Muslim or, in the past, everyone with an Irish accent, and how inaccurate and unacceptable to the rest of us this can be. I was simply trying to express to Dandrade that regardless of how much of the truth we have heard so far, this type of incident is, even now, very far from the norm in British society. Indiscriminate police shootings are most definitely not sanctioned by any of us. As I said, these police are highly-trained marksman, and they, above all, know that when they shoot the only outcome is going to be the death of their target. I for one am sure they do not use these powers lightly.

All I was hoping to say was that when two countries are unfortunately linked by circumstances such as affect Britain and Brazil just now, it is the responsibility of the citizens of these places to maintain communication by whatever means exist. Keep the channels open. Don't stop talking to one another.

Regards

Ken.

I just want to offer you all a few safety tips:

Your Mother said:
1) Don't run with scissors.

2) Don't play with matches.

3) Don't play with knives.

4) Assume every gun is loaded.

5) Don't drink the water.

6) Don't go to international Soccer (football) matches.

7) DON'T RUN FROM THE POLICE!

As most of you know suicide bomber is big problem is Israel . sometime our armed forces are searching for
those pepole.
We all know if we will behave in certain way we might be suspects.If I will start to run when they searching I might be shot.
It is not like when you search for a thief here there is no room for mistakes.
Some pepole of our armed forces pay in their life because they hesitate.
The order is to shot to kill and ascertaining death.
Day before yesterday our army caught one of those.They strip him from safe distance until they were sure it safe to come neer by.He carry 5Kg of explosive belt.
With all the sorrow things are going to change with all of this events.
Pepole must understand the problematic of the work of the security services.
Here in Israel we use that the security pepole search our stuff when we go to the mall or coffe shop or to medical clinic.
It come to reduce the chance that the suicede bomber will blow him self in closed area , last time it happend he did it on pedestrian crossing before a week or so.neer the mall.
The bottom line is,what you use to see at the air ports will be at the tubes and other places.
It will change when the govrment will have enought intelligence to prevent those events at the beginning.
The feeling here, we are more careful but we do not change our life because of that.
They will not win.No way

Untill that have a safe day for all