OT: But important beer related question

ChuckM

I have a Danby keg cooler that I think could cool better. What I think would be the best bet is replacing the temperature control with a good old bulb and capillary temperature controller. But because I don't mind tinkering, I'll mess with the digital temperature controller for a bit.

Does anyone know how to tell what kind of sensor I have? I suspect it is an RTD of some sort but I'm not sure. There is no color coding of the wires or markings of any kind.

Chuck,

You have touch a very good subject....But before I help, I would like to know what type of beer you have?

You may get Terry Woods' help if you mention MGD...

But for me Heineken or Corona Extra, but Heineken has a new light thats good :p

This is what I would try...
Go to this site and given the known temperature you can reverse engineer the RDT, check the temp in the frig with a good digital therm. reading the restance across the RTD should get you there

You can get the restance table from this site go to Technical Info/Tables/RTD Tabels

http://www.rtdcompany.com/technical_info/selecting_rtd.cfm

That beening said...Drink 🍻

geniusintraining said:
But for me Heineken or Corona Extra, but Heineken has a new light thats good :p
Sorry to say it, but for me (being Belgian), the occurrence of the word 'good' in connection with the brand 'Heineken' is blasphemy of the purest kind. Here in Belgium we consider Heineken as being something that has been drunk by a horse before :D. You clearly have never tasted Belgian beer 🍻. You really, really should try Geuze (various brands), Duvel, Trappist (various brands), Oerbier, Straffe Hendrik, Brugse Tripel, Brugs Tarwebier, Hoegaerden and so on. The complete list 📓 is too long to publish here, with more than 300 brands for a relatively small country.

Kind regards,

Then the horse has ate some very good oats 🍺 I'll still drink it :eek:

I had Geninus dark? (not sure of the spelling) last week that had to come from a cow, that stuff was bad...never again :sick:

geniusintraining said:
You can get the restance table from this site go to Technical Info/Tables/RTD Tabels

http://www.rtdcompany.com/technical_info/selecting_rtd.cfm

I'll give that a try. From what I googled up on these Danby coolers, Danby has an issue with the temperature sensors and a lot of people have far more problems than I do with this warm beer problem.

What I did yesterday was put a glass of cold water inside the cabinet, snap the sensor out of it's little jail cell and drop it inside the water along with the thermocouple lead on my Fluke 87V. Now at least the digital display matches the Fluke. Before the digital diplay that controlls the conpressor read 32-36 degrees F while the Fluke read 40-42 degrees F. Now they both read on average around 36-38 degrees F.

Chuck,

It appears that your sensor is being affected by the housing or grounding or some type of feedback (because insulating it with a glasss made it read correctly).

Not a grounding problem, too much plastic. The sensor is covered in plastic, the inside of the cabinet is all plastic. This thing is just poorly designed. The cabinet fan is smaller than most laptop fans and I can move more air with a healthy flatus release.

I added a larger fan this past week too. However I think I'll augment that with a small Dayton shaded pole blower and flex hose to take cool air from the bottom of the cabinet to the tower. I'm also thinking I may replace my glass of water with a glycol filled piece of tubing and locate it nearer the tower or actually in the tower.

You really, really should try Geuze (various brands), Duvel, Trappist (various brands), Oerbier, Straffe Hendrik, Brugse Tripel, Brugs Tarwebier, Hoegaerden and so on.

I spent a month in Belgium in 96'. We tasted many, many beer on our trip including beer of the surrounding countries.

From an American point of view, Belgium definitely has the best beer in the world. My favorite was Hoegaerden Dos and Duvel. I have not been able to find Hoegaerden here in the states. Duvel is available in most large stores, it is very expensive. Stella is also available although it is a (what the Belgian's call) "normal beer", it is also very good.

IO_Rack,

I'm glad you love our country (or at least it's beers). I know there's nothing much we're good at, except for food and drink. I don't consider our female tennisplayers here, because I'm sure those won't last for ever. I hope the beer does 🍻.

Kind regards,

jvdcande said:
I know there's nothing much we're good at, except for food and drink.

Don't sell yourself short. Isn't food and drink everything that matters? Besides another thing that I can't get into detail in this fine family setting.

I have not been able to find many good Belgin beers near where I now live, but while working down in Ft. Pierce, FL last year there was a store next to our hotel called "BOOZGEOIS SALOON " that had beer tastings every Friday night, and we sampled quite a few wounderful ones...Pink Elephant is something to try to remember.

They also have most of these beers in stock, and will ship,too.

David

Hi,

As you can see I'm also a Belgium (beer drinker), there is one guy from England who knowns almost everything about beer's. http://www.beerhunter.com/ His name is also Michael Jakson but has nothing to do with the one you all know. His website is quit interesting.

Rudi

Rudi