OT : Grease Flow Sensors

nic00

Sorry for the slightly OT topic but i am wondering if anybody can recommend a good flow sensor that can be used/proven in a harsh environment (Steel mill) . I have left the grease type / flow rate at work but i can conjure up the information when i am back at work tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Most of the grease systems I have seen are slow moving, intermittent systems to lubricate machine surfaces.

They usually have a grease pump that distributes grease to different location on the machine through blocks that look like this:
http://www.graco.com/Internet/T_PDB.nsf/SearchView/MSPDividerValves

The last block has a limit switch that is actuated by the last spool valve. The control will turn on the pump and start a timer. If the switch at the end of the system changes state withing a specified length of time then you know lube got to the entire machine. If the timer times out, you throw up an alarm to check the pump or for busted lines.

Depends on your application. If you need to have an automated lubricating system then Graco mentioned above or Trabon would be a good choice. The metering blocks you pick for your system will determine the lube/grease amount, which is further adjustable at the pump. These are generally used to perform automated maintenance removing the obligation from the maint dept. Our specific application required a specific amount of grease to be dispensed inside a steering column bore. This was measured by pulses provided by a prox switch which was activated by a gear that rotated as the dispensed grease was pumped. We had actually used 2 different mfrs and the one I posted above turned out to be more reliable. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info although this is a total loss system running EP2 grease. Thus running the system on a limit switch / fault timer would not work. Our current system entails of transducer's about 4ft from the pumps which is why we are looking for something better i.e. At the end of the line.

Not totally sure about your application, but our grease injection system (for a turbine bearing) used a pressure switch to determine
when the pump actually delivered the grease.

I like a combination of flow and pressure switches to verify the system is OK. If you use pressure only look for a high to low back to highchange in the switch. If flow only then what happens if you have a line brake at the fitting? If you look at pressure only then what happens if you have a line plug? If you use both look at the rate of change from high pressure to low.