OT. Is it posible to turn of Excels obnoxious navgation behaviour ?

I resurrect this thread because there is another obnoxious excel behaviour that is driving me NUTS.

When you want to edit a cell, and therefore double-click it, but happens to hit the dividing line between two cells, excel decides to jump the cursor to the very last cell in a colum with data. Where is the logic in THAT ??
After this happens I have to carefully locate where I was to get back on track. Sometimes I trigger this behavour several times after each other - must be nerves.

Someone have an idea .... ?

edit: I have Excel 2007 and I cant find the "disable cell drag and drop" mentioned before.

Last edited:
I found it !

They have renamed it slightly. It is now called "enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop".
It can be found via the office button (the big one in the upper left corner) ... Excel options ... Advanced.

It does turn of this specific behaviour. Thanks for the help guys. ;)

The cursor is automatically being placed somewhere when I dont want to. Before I see what has happened, I have typed into a wrong cell.
Would turning off "Tools, Options, Edit, Move Selection after Enter" help you any?

Oh, I was too slow and outdated besides.

Excel Move After ENTER.jpg

Last edited:
Lnacie, no that settings make the cursor jump to the next cell (up, down, left or right) after ENTER. Sometimes that is useful, but it does not make a big difference to me if it is off or on.

After disabling the "enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop" my biggest beef with Excel is gone.

I use the fill handle, and cell "drag and drop" regularly, and would not want to switch them off.

I think what you really want is to disable "Edit Directly In Cell". That will force you to edit the contents of the cell in the formula bar, not in the cell itself, and your cursor movements while editing will not move the cell selection.

The problem is when I use Excel for mass-editing texts.
What I do is, select a cell in edit mode, then place the cursor in the place in the existing text where I want to start typing, or pasting a text. So I double-click and click again, and then type or paste.
This is extremely repeating and tedious work. I dont want any unnecessary extra steps to get the job done.
If I had to move the mouse cursor from the cell to the formula bar it will double the time I have to use for each text I am editing.

Hi there.

I am using Excel for editing alarm texts en masse.
The cursor is automatically being placed somewhere when I dont want to. Before I see what has happened, I have typed into a wrong cell.

It happens when I use the left-arrow key (going back to correct a typo in the text for example), then it seems to think I want to go to the cell to the left, and not to the left inside the current cell.

And it happens when I triple-click on a cell, then it jumps to the bottom-most cell in the sheet. I know I shouldnt triple-click, but it can happen when I want to select a cell, and then click again to enter the existing text for modifying.

Now I have lived with this idiotic behaviour for years, and I think maybe enough is enough.

Anyone ?

PS. Office Excel 2003.

I don't get this behaviour in my version of Excel (2002).

Editing "in-cell", the left-arrow key moves the cursor one character left, the right-arrow key moves one character to the right, the up-arrow key moves to the beginning of the text, and the down-arrow moves to the end of the text.

Perhaps you could go back a version to get what you want.