OT: Remote I/O monitoring

theripley

This is not related to PLC, but please allow me to post.

Can you recommend any solution that will allow me to monitor I/O from over 10 blocks away? My application requires me to monitor 4 doors (open or close) from Building 1 and show the corresponding status to Building 2, which is 10 blocks away. The monitoring box at Building 2 will have 4 pilot lamps, one for each door at Building 1.

I would appreciate any economical solution for this very simple application.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Is there any network between the two sites? Or internet at each site?

If not, then wireless I/O could be an option. Depends how obstructed the path is between sites. If you want to PM me approx coordinates for both sites I can do a quick look for you.

I like Elpro Wireless I/O.

Is there any network between the two sites? Or internet at each site?

If not, then wireless I/O could be an option. Depends how obstructed the path is between sites. If you want to PM me approx coordinates for both sites I can do a quick look for you.

I like Elpro Wireless I/O.

I am informed that there is internet on both sites.

1. Get an MQTT server somewhere in the cloud. As an example, you might qualify for HiveMQ's free tier.
2. Publish the IO from building 1 to MQTT. You could use a codesys PLC and the IIoT Libraries for this, or something like IFM AL1320 to publish straight from the IO to the MQTT.
3. Codesys PLC with IIoT Libraries at building 2 to subscribe to the MQTT topics.

The advantage of MQTT is that both sites only need outbound connections.