OT Stop sub contracting.

There are certain rules, regs., and licenses you should comply with before you consider the work. I would Definately look into the requirements before doing any work in this type of business. I know that contractors must go through a lot of paper work in order to work on them.

i would also consider the liability issue.

regards,
james

I have many clients like this. some I just write a contract for that has no room for extras. some i way over price. there even one that loves to talk while I try and work, I do all the above and bring a extra man on the job just to b.s. with him while I work I charge him for the extra guy and hes happy. My point here is there are many types of people out there, most can be delt with however some you just have to burn the bridge with.
best regards, Steve

got any jobs going?
I have two guys on his site hooking up 1 motor(just wires no mech.) as we speak I am sure the motor will be hooked long before the B.S. is over. I charge point to point same rate and this will be 1 day charge for two men. and everybody will be happy!

When I used to work for myself I dealt with customers like this by putting in over-inflated quotes (as has already been said). If you simply can't face working for him then there's 2 avenues really.
1) Try and identify what drives you mad about this customer and try and come to terms with it. If it's just that the work is outside your comfort zone then think about what jobs you would be happy doing for him and make sure he knows only to contact you if that work is available.
2) Just keep telling him your too busy, scaling down the business, spending more time with the family, exploring new horizons (delete as appropriate). He'll soon be forced to find someone else to do the work and then he'll stop bothering you with it.

I (personally) wouldn't let him know that you simply can't work with him and he drives you nuts. As others have said, it's very rarely the right thing to do to burn your bridges in this life. You never know when you might need that work from him (as horrible as that thought might be) in the future.

Good luck and keep your chin up ;-)

How do I tell him I don't want to do anymore business with him?
He is trying to change a scope of work on me now. He doesn't want to pay for the changes he wants the work for free.
Use this as a starting point - insist on being paid for the changes. If he resists, that's your wedge.
If you don't want to directly say "No", I think Tom hit a really good point; use being paid for changes as your wedge - try telling him you can't do any more business with him until he pays you what he already owes. Submit a bill for all the changes you have made for previous jobs and insist it is paid-in-full before you will even consider accepting new projects. In the mean time, require signed Change Orders on your existing project.

Keep in mind he may choose to try to kill your name regardless of what you do. That is not something you can truly prevent, only try to limit.

Steve

Submit a bill for all the changes you have made for previous jobs and insist it is paid-in-full before you will even consider accepting new projects.

I think this is a good idea except I get the impression that the op really doesn't want to do anymore work for this guy for all the tea in china.

The problem he may have is if he submits a bill and the guy then pays, it might then be more difficult/awkward turning down further work as the guy has paid up?

Just a thought.... ;-)

I wouldn't sub it out to anybody not even my enemies.
you might want to rethink this. for example I do work for a company that has several divisions and two of the guys from different divisions absolutely can not get along with each other. However I do work for both and have no problem with either. The point is there is someone out there who can do work for this guy, maybe its just not you.
best regards, Steve

One line is all you need. Next time he calls you. "I joined the Navy, I ship out tomorrow. Sorry"

Lol, but seriously, I would take the "too busy" route. It's probably the most effective without having to actually say "I'm not working for you anymore". Everything can be an excuse, the inlaws are in for the next few weeks, I'm going on a cruise next month, I'm going to Europe for a month or two, I lost my fingers in a shear accident I can no longer use a computer, or I'm retiring. Use a couple open ended long event excuses and he'll have to find somebody else, maybe even forget about you.

"I am booked up for the next few months" is the one I used this morning. He asked how I all of the sudden got booked up when yesterday I wasn't interested. I explained that a customer needs some long term onsite support and they have asked me to move my office to their office so I could be there when they need me.

"I am booked up for the next few months" is the one I used this morning. He asked how I all of the sudden got booked up when yesterday I wasn't interested. I explained that a customer needs some long term onsite support and they have asked me to move my office to their office so I could be there when they need me.
(y)

He asked how I all of the sudden got booked up when yesterday I wasn't interested.
Jeff, he probably has been reading your posts here! That is another way to get the message through!

I did get an interesting phone call a customer wants to hire me to do their controls. I think this may be a good thing. It might hold me over the winter.

Very True. So if I publicly say "I am sorry I can no longer work for you." Does that ease the sting?

I didn't tell him anything that wasn't true. It may not have been a completely closed deal, but it is on the table and we are entertaining the idea.