OT: Thoughts on Toyota Recall, Safety Circuits Design

It's not just "throtle-by-wire" systems that have had this issue...worked on cars all my life and have seen repairs that would make your hair stand on end (not mine).

Had this discussion with my wife right after the first "issue" with the aftermarket floor mats: What do you do if the gas pedal sticks?

Put it in "Neutral" (auto or stick), pull off the road, kill the engine.

This is basic stuff they should teach in drivers education...but that's another thread.

On every machine that is made for the past 40 years we have an e-stop where the operator is or we have them on just about ever part of the machine, with the electronics that are running our cars why would we not have a large RED N/C push button, we know that we all have issues with every thing that is built.

The first thing I did when I got a new machine was change it the way I think it should be, my point is that nothing is built perfect (mechanically or electrical) and we need to fail safe them if possiable.

Oh wait.... I know why we don't... because of they way it would look, the sales/marketing team would never go for it.