OT: When is VFD cable recommended/required?

Maybe it is just my industry, but I use cables / receptacles for every motor under 10 HP.

The Turck cables (I'll have to look up part numbers later) are pretty awesome and not super expensive. I think I pay about $150 for a cable, a receptacle for the panel, and a receptacle for the motor. Then you just plug-and-play.

Most of the time though, my motors are within 2-4 meters of my enclosure. Prices definitely get more expensive the further away the motor is.

Also, many times my enclosure ships separate from the machine, and I don't always want to leave wiring the motor to the end user. With the cable / receptacle combo, I can at the very least plug in the motor for testing before it leaves our facility. The $150 pays for itself in this convenience.

And, if it needs to be relocated, just buy a longer cable!

I should note - I just looked up the cables that I was mentioning (powerfast) and they are not shielded cables.

I should note - I just looked up the cables that I was mentioning (powerfast) and they are not shielded cables.

Thanks Rson, those cable and plug assemblies you mentioned were interesting. Too bad they are not shielded. I could have used them on another project.