OT: Windows - Domain vs Workgroup in plant environment

That's news to me and a valid consideration. Some of our plant is migrating their HMI to VM. The new ABB DCS for example, are delivered from factory as VMs but I don't recall they are in a Domain. I will have to check.

Also, related to this. I tried to config a Dell server with Server 2019 preinstalled and it won't let me checkout with 2 VM in addition to the host unless I add 2 more license of Server 2019. It seems Microsoft changed their term and according to one site, quote here:

I had thought at one time Microsoft let one use the host license for 2 more VM instances. So, I might as well go with VMware VSXi and stay with Desktop OS as VM.

Vsphere ( if you use it) requires a DNS server. Microsoft has gone to a per 2 core license scheme. I recently did a project with a 16 core CPU, had to by 8 copies of Server. For large projects, Microsoft has a package base on number of host, and unlimited virtual machines. I don't remember the price, but I think it was North of 5k.

Ken, thanks for the explanation on the new server licensing even though I'm still having some problem wrapping my mind around the new licensing model.

Let's say I just want a light duty server (2 CPU with 8 cores each) with host OS and 2 VM. so I get 8 licenses (2 cores per license). Do I need anymore licenses for the 2 VM?