OT. your health, what do you do?

I do eat a spoon full of honey every day or so. I have not been sick in a long time. I only eat real honey (dad is a bee keeper). I just looked at the money spent on cola this month $100.00. I work 7 days a week for weeks on end and then crash. I then work maybe 4 days a week. I haven't gotten the balancing act down yet. I turned down 2 jobs this week. I thought I was going to cry.
I may just have to follow your advice. I like the idea of growing old
I do like this thread.

i don't have time for the gym, I ride passenger on a side car doing road trials instead - average race time 6 hours (one this weekend coming) longest is 24hours (straight). Check this out http://www.24hrtrial.org/2008/
And then I ride my cruise when I can (3 months ago now was the last ride! which usually consists of 400 - 500kms for a day trip)

Otherwise keeping fit involves running around after a 1 year old and 6 year old.
Peter

My "stowaway" found me in my late 30's. For a while I went to Gym 3 - 4 times a week. But now (due to work commiments) I have found myself living close to the coast, so for me I now try to keep/get fit by picking up one of my favorite passtimes from my youth. But Damn that water gets cold (during winter anyway) when a I have to "duck-dive" under the waves in an attempt to get out past the white-water.

Freak said:
I ride passenger on a side car doing road trials instead

Now that would be a blast!.... I raced YZ 125 and 250's, but I have not in many years, just got my wife and myself a couple of four wheelers, they are fun, but I don't race

Good thread, interesting to see how others keep themselves in balance.

I try to cook as much as possible at home. This has two beneficial effects - firstly, if I don't want to die of hunger I must get home at a reasonable hour. Secondly, I can obviously cook what I want and don't keep soft drinks and other stuff with poor nutritional value in the house, which means when not on site I have a reasonable diet. I don't worry so much about quantity, but I try to err on the low side and prop myself up with fruit and such if I start feeling a bit tired.

Exercise wise, I don't own a car and ride my bike to work, roughly 250km a week and try and keep my average speed up above 30km/hr besides. I've found that while regular sports etc are good for your condition, nothing is so good at improving your condition as removing all alternatives to getting some exercise.

I Coach Baseball, and run with the kids.
This year I started taking 1 Fish oil, or Omega 3 sofgel each morning and it lowered my cholesterol enough to keep me off statins.

Bike to/ from work 40 minutes minimum each way four times a week at 15 to 20 MPH from April through October, cut back frequency as the temperature drop into the 20's (F), stop completely at 10 F as frostbite is not worth it. Stretch twice a day for flexibility and lift dumbells during this routine to add a bit of strength training. Walk when it gets colder, at least 30 minutes per session at at least 3.5 MPH. Cross country ski if conditions permit. Biking also helps saving on gasoline expense now that it has risen so much in the last few months.

Like other, eat fresh, small quantities, and the only fast food is an occasional sub sandwich without all the fat adders. Try to keep my sweet tooth in check but it is sometimes a loosing battle, never met a cookie I didn't like. 12 ounces of soda a week, 8 ounces of coffee in the morning, more for the taste than the pick me up.

Have an outside interest that causes you to train: I lead a Boy Scout group on a 90 mile backpacking trip over eleven days in the Rockies last month, feel great for a guy pushing his mid fifties.

Quiet time to reflect daily on what you are going to do/ did and how you plan to do better in the future. Mental health/ PMA goes a long way in to feeling good about one's self.

Awesome - that's really great stuff, even if it gives you the occasional oily belch of doom!
gbradley said:
I Coach Baseball, and run with the kids.
This year I started taking 1 Fish oil, or Omega 3 sofgel each morning and it lowered my cholesterol enough to keep me off statins.

Last edited:
Mark,

Based on our correspondence and this thread, the one glaring thing that is missing is rest.

You stated that you are doing so much. There are only 24 hours in the day. That number is fixed. No matter what you try to do, it won't change.

We sometimes try to expand it by giving up things, in order to do other things.

Your giving up rest, for which your body, mind and spirit truly require, in exchange to do other things.

Without proper rest, you cannot maintain an optimum level of performance.

Rather than looking for external methods or products to improve your health, why not go back to the basics.

If the creator of the universe rested after six days of work...and He instructed us to also rest, not to mention blessing that day, then don't you think He probably is a good authority on what is best for us?

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

I agree with Stephen. Since I'm still young (22), I've generated good habits for myself that I refuse to let go. I am heavily involved in weightlifting (4-5 days/week) and outdoor activities (mainly mtn biking, basketball, hiking), I eat a fairly strict diet of chicken/fish and greens, and although there is a lot of work to be done around the house, I make sure that I give myself 2 weekends a month to wind down.

I'm certain that once I become more involved in my career, some of these things will change, but I've learned a lot just from watching my father. He's 41 now, and he's been an auto mechanic for 22 years. In that time, he's worked 50 hours standard and has in recent years developed gout in his knuckles. This is all complimented by a diet of bad food right before bed and 2 cases of beer per week.

I am one of those people who is going to start to look after themselves. 20+ Years of long hours,paid and unpaid overtime and junk food, coffee, coke etc has put the weight on me.

I am walking a lot more, and and going to buy a mountain bike so i can ride with my young daughter. I already told my boss this week that I am not doing long hours anymore, unless i can have the time back in lieu. He is thinking about it.. maybe i need another job.

I find gyms boring but started lane swimming at least once a week.

Cheers

I'm not much of a healthy diet person... I try, but what can I say... I am weak :oops: and love food.

In any case, I started gym 4 days a week (40 min aerobic and 25 min weight lifting). I do it before entering to work, the problem is that I'm not always in the office, so not every week I get to the 4 days...

In the weekends it depends, some mountain biking, some trekking, some diving. I did some windsurf also... or if all that fails, a good bbq!

I work out at the gym 5 days a week for at least an hour before work. 3 days a week a 1 mile run then the heavy upperbody weights. 2 days a week I do a 30 min run then workout the legs. Today was leg day. I hate squats. My legs feel like jelly right now. Been on this schedule for about six months. I generally have more energy and sleep better.

Hey, leg day for me too today. Lol, I found out yesterday that my coworkers have been calling me, "ant". Guess I'm a bit unbalanced.

bwheat said:
I work out at the gym 5 days a week for at least an hour before work. 3 days a week a 1 mile run then the heavy upperbody weights. 2 days a week I do a 30 min run then workout the legs. Today was leg day. I hate squats. My legs feel like jelly right now. Been on this schedule for about six months. I generally have more energy and sleep better.