Panel Builder, want to test program without network node error

CeeDee

I did a few searches looking for info on this subject and couldn't find anything. Sorry, if this is an old topic. I am new, not just to this site but to PLCs in general.

Here's what I got: I have an existing panelview(panelbuilder32) program installed on a Allen Bradley Panel View 600. I've made some minor adjusts for user passwords, nothing major. I want to go through just the program and the various screens to make sure the right screens that I want password protected are working correctly for the different users. I want to test this before downloading it to the actual machine's panel view. How can I download a copy of the program to this test PV600 without the network node error popping up obscuring the screen? The program is looking for the nodes, bits, and pieces everywhere that are addressed in the tag editor. I understand at least that much. Is there a way to bypass/overlook all these just so I can run and view the program?

Thanks,
CD

Unfortunately for your needs, there is no "ignore communications fault" function in the PanelView Standard terminal.

Communicating to the logic controller is the PanelView's principal reason for existence, so if it can't do that, it sees no benefit to persevering with navigation or security.

When I have to test things like this, I usually set up a benchtop controller with the same data tables and network addresses as the one I'll be running on in the field.

Thanks for the reply. So, if I were to wire up a SLC503, on the bench for example, with the same program that the panelview program is looking for, this should work? Do I need to install all the I/Os in the rack too? Or will just the SLC CPU (along w/back-plane and power supply of course)work to rid me of this network error?

Just the CPU will be fine. As Lancie said, if you are addressing outside of the default data table ranges you will need to adjust to suit I.e if you are addressing an N55 file from your panelview.

If your PanelView directly addresses I/O memory, it can be trickier.

You can download an SLC-500 program with an incorrect I/O module configuration into a controller, but it will fault when you attempt to go to RUN mode. This isn't a big deal if all you want is data table access for the PanelView terminal.

But the program won't even download if the I/O chassis size is wrong(1). So you need the same or larger chassis size.

This is one of the reasons that I don't address I/O memory directly in HMI applications.

(1) Based on recollection, not recent experience.

Awesome. It worked somehow. I just downloaded the program to the PLC that the panelview was looking for regardless that the PLC was the wrong size rack and didn't even have any I/O boards in it. I was able to run through the panelview program windows.
Thanks for the help guys! I'm sure I will have more questions in the future.