Panel design

Filtering Fun!

Filtering can have unexpected consequences! One panel I installed in the early '90s had a filtering scheme as martyh just posted but the components were getting filthy inside the panel, sometime in less than 6 months. Monthly PM was to have maintenance remove the filter, clean it, and then reinstall. The filters were clean everytime I was onsite to look at the equipment but the inside components were not.

How could something so simple be a problem? It ended up that the "cleaning method" being used was to take an air hose and force high velocity air through the filter while it was still in place! The operators liked seeing the big dust plume that would come out of the exit fan. After convincing them they should not do that but the way it was specified on the methods sheets, the panel stayed clean.

In the environments that our machines go into, there is no way I would put a fan in. I have seen some really filthy cabinets.

Obviously different situations warrant different solutions. We recommend having a PM to replace the filter, and usually ship some extras with the cabinet. If the environment were too dirty for the filter, we wouldn't install it. I should have mentioned that most of these cabinets are located in an electrical control room.

We have also used cabinet coolers and A/C units. The cabinet location always plays a role in the design.

So we have a job where they make a metal sandblast medium. Metal dust all over the place. So we install everything in a nema 4/12 cabnet and seal off everything. No filters or vents. PJT cooling. So I go make a jobsite visit the other day and find the cabnet door open. Looks like it's been left that way for months. As usual nobody admits to being the culpret. Equipment is now out of service and the damage appears to be extensive.

You can put all the effort in the world into it, but it seems you cant eliminate the "human factor". :(

So I go make a jobsite visit the other day and find the cabnet door open. Looks like it's been left that way for months.

We have one particular customer with several outdoor installations that utilize Nema 4 or 4x cabinets. These are the cabinets that have locking lugs all around three sides. I can't tell you how many times I went to the sites for service calls and the cabinets were only held shut with one lug. Usually the door mounted instruments would fail due to water damage.

I must be the lucky one...

Seems like our cabinets are always left open when I show up on site, to date I think we've only lost one PLC to what might have been heat... I hate to sound like I'm plugging AD, but I've seen the sucker's rained on while they're running with no ill effect (though I did close the door for that customer free of charge)...

Eric

I saw your plier-type crimper on other thread on Ron site.
Phoenix Contact have this toll I got one for small jobs.
and I have one from Weidmuller PZ 6 ROTO (See Above)for massive jobs.
Very good tool.
See this link
http://eshop.phoenixcontact.com/pho...EN&BACKURL=http://www.phoenixcon.com&login=no

You can rotate the crimping head to access from the front or from the side.
Over here it is mandatory to use Any type of wire ends we are not allowed to use soldering instead wire ends.

This tools are expensive(the Wiedmuller cost about $180) but worth evry penny.
Eric if you like the Phoenix I can get it for you. it cost about $45
over here.

I added an outlet to all my machines a couple of years ago. ASI has a nice single outlet, dinrail mountable for around $17.00. http://www.asi-ez.com

I make sure that this outlet is not wired through the EStop so that if I have to kill power to the machine it does not kill power to the laptop.

A flourescent light is a great addition. There is something very futuristic about having a nice neat panel flash into light as you open the door.

You reminded me about the dreaded safety door switches that I've seen sometimes on panels. You open the door quite innocently to look at the frequency of an inverter or whatever and the whole panel shuts down. Machine stops, production stops, shouting starts... :(

I really hate these booby trapped panels.

As for doors left open... I once worked in Romania on a panel and I found they had been using the Siemens S7 PLC as an ashtray! The top was melted where they had stubbed out their fags and the thing was FULL of ash!!

:)

Johnny T said:
... I once worked in Romania on a panel and I found they had been using the Siemens S7 PLC as an ashtray! The top was melted where they had stubbed out their fags and the thing was FULL of ash!! :)

So a few years ago some of the locals actually stole the phone line from the poles for the entire block! It took a few days but the phone company restored all the lines leading right into our phone distrubution panel. A few weeks later I went into the cabnet to move some of the office phone assignments and found a huge rats nest of wires, and...about 30 butts and ashes all over.. They must have been Romainians.... :(

With the new NFPA 70E rules and arc flash hazards, a programming port and outlet mounted through the door is a must. We have some customers requiring it.

I really like those external programming ports, especially the AC outlet combos. But does anyone make a data highway one for a PCMK laptop cable? A lot of my jobs are data highway with a SLC tied to a panelview, and the serial port of the SLC is hooked up to a modem. I usually have to connect through the little din(?P/S2?) channel on the 5/04.