Panel View 550 to SLC5/03 comms problem

mrbj

Hi,
System
PLC -- SLC 5/03
HMI -- Panelview 550
Connected cables
From SLC 5/03 Serial Port to PV 550 Serial Port (RS232)
From PC Serial Port via 1747 PIC to SLC 5/03 DH485 port.

Software (old but usually works ok, have not had any problems before using it)
RSLogix 500 V5.20.00
Linx Lite 2.31.00
PanelBuilder 32 V3.80.00

This is a new project and all equipment is latest spec.
Although I have communicated with the PLC and down-loaded the PLC ladder logic, I cannot download the panelbuilder program.
The RS linx 'see's' the PLC but not the Panelview.

I have also tried connecting the panel view directly to my PC serial port and tried using DF1 etc to communicate with it, but still cannot down load the panelbuilder program.

I assume that I am not configuring the Comms correctly, and would appreciate some help and guidance on this.
Regards,
mrbj

Hi,

The PIC driver will take over control of the serial port. This causes the DF-1 driver to have a "Port Conflict" error. Do you see this error when you go to configure drivers is RSLinx? If so, I always backup the RSlinx setup with the Backup & Restore utility. Then I delete the PIC driver. When I want to use the PIC driver again I just do a setup restore.
BD

Sometimes when wotking with PIC interface and I have to change DF1 protocol I have to reset the computer in order to connect the PC to the PLC thru the serial port.

So when using 5/03 i prefer to use a pv based on dh-485, this way by using the pic you can comuncate to the plc and the pv at the same time.

Hi,
Thankyou for your response,

I have being back to site to check on a few things.
The type of panel view is 2711 - T5A5L-1, Ser B, Rev E, FRN 4.46 and powered by 24V dc.
The dc connections are correct.
The cable between the PV550 and the SLC 5/03 is a 2711 - NC13, which as far as I am aware is the correct one.
There is only one RS232 port on the back of the PV550.

I can connect my PC via its serial port to the PV550 directly using a 2706-NC13 cable, which is the cable I use on other PV's. When I do this there is still no response.

In actual fact the PV appears dead, even with power on and pressing the reset button (located at the back under the mem card slot).
No info / menu etc appears on the PV screen at all.

Am I missing something obvious??

PS.. the one thing that I was hoping to do was to connect the PC to the SLC via the 1747-PIC and have access to both the SLC 5/03 and the PV550 whilst it (PV550) is connected to the SLC5/03 using the above 2711-NC13 cable. Is this possible ??

Regards.
mrbj

Your PV has a RS232 port but the protocal is DH485
See pic and PDF for proper cables. You can use the DH485 port on your SLC or configure the serial port on the SLC for DH485.

PVdh485.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks Mickey for your reply and advice.
The PV550T is faulty and I've arranged to send it back.

To replace it I've ordered a 2711-T5A16L1 with DF1 and a printer port.
Now, as far as I understand it...
I should be able to connect the SLC5/03 with a 2711-NC13 cable to the PV550T.
Also connect my PC to the PV550T with 2706-NC13.
And have everything running on DF1.

I would set ..
The SLC5/03 channel 0 to DF1 // Baud=9600 // Node=1d //Parity/stop bit = None/1 //Error=CRC // Handshake=off .
The PV550T to the same , except Node = 2.
In the PV550T I would set the Printer port (RS232)9pin to "download".

Have I got this right, will it work, and will I be able to see the SLC5/03 via the PV550T and be able to modify/upload/download/go-online etc the SLC5/03.

I would appreciate your valued comments and advice on the above.

Regards,
mrbj

Hi,
Thanks Mickey/Kenroach for your advise/help.
Apologies for not replying sooner.
The PV550T with serial (DF1) comms was used in the end.
I used the PV550T printer port for downloading to the PV.
Not a bad thing, since it allowed me to keep the cable from the PV to the PLC in place, and the cables from the PV to PC and PLC to PC (via PIC) also in place, just had to swap at the PCs' serial port, change driver in rslinx etc when required.
The plant is now up and running.
Incidently, my old panelbuilder software V3.80.00 works ok with the PV550T c/w new firmware, some features may not be available, but nothing flagged up.
Just a quick question, why would you have preferred to have stayed with the DH485 comms as against the DF1. ??
Regards
mrbj

mrbj said:
Hi,

Just a quick question, why would you have preferred to have stayed with the DH485 comms as against the DF1. ??
Regards
mrbj

Future networking and the ablitily to connect to both your SLC5/03 and yout PV at the same time.