Panel View 550

Freak

Hi All - I know that this has been covered off previously but I can't find the right solution.
I have a:
PanelView 550 2711-T5A2L1X 4.41
Connected to a:
DH485 Link Coupler 1747-AIC B
Connected to a:
AIC+ 1761-Net-AIC B
Connected to a SLC5/04 1747-L542B

I need to update the PanelView but I am unable to see it in RSLinx. I am running RSLinx Lite Ver 3.80. I have tried to use a 1747-UIC Ver 1.3 but I cannot get any lights to go on the DH485 Comms. I used a straight through ethernet cable to connect directly to the 485 port on the screen.
I then tried to use a USB to serial converter 9300-USBS Rev 3.0 and connected to the 485 port on the AIC+. This had written in texta use a PIC driver, which is obviously no good. Tried to set up a DF1 driver manually, this was unsuccessful.
Next option I tried was to set an older version of Linx on my VM but as I am only using the windows version I can't get pass through to a real serial port (on my docking station).
So I am after new ideas.
Cheers

The 1747-UIC is your best bet.

Make sure you use the comm port the UIC has taken. Check device manager.

Make sure the switch on the UIC is in the proper position. See manual below.

The manual will also show you how to setup RSLinx, double check that.

It would be easiest to use a CompactFlash card to load an application onto the PanelView terminal, which is what I presume you mean by "update". If you're trying to upgrade the firmware itself, you should definitely use a CompactFlash card, and question why you think you need to update a very old device.

The PIC driver and the general-purpose USB interface should be ruled out; there are multiple layers of reasons (OS, virtualization, protocol) that they won't work.

An Ethernet patch cable is not correctly wired for connecting the 1747-UIC to a DH485 network. Use a 1747-C13 cable or equivalent.

Is the cable that connects the PanelView 550 to the 1747-AIC going from the broader "AMP" connector on the PanelView to the RJ45 jack on the 1747-AIC ? If so, you might try disconnecting it from the 1747-AIC and plugging that same cable into the 1747-UIC.

Thanks Ken - Yes I mean load a new application, I will try the compact flash method tomorrow. It's been a long time since I had to work on one that wasn't Ethernet and prior I had the right tools to communicate direct so I had never looked for the CompactFlash slot.

Mickey - Thanks for the info, I think the adapter is faulty on that port as I have since tried the RS 232 port on another device and that worked.

Cheers

Misson Accomplished

So - I looked at the memory card option, and this was no good as I didn't have the right card. So I got the old laptop and cleared off all the dust, figured that I would use the PIC driver on that, but it was running XP SP 3 so no good. Fortunately it had the KT adapter in it. Configured that and downloaded no problems.
So next step is to get a USB to PCMCIA adapter, any suggestions?

Cheers