panelview 1000 model identification problem

david90

I just got an old pv1000 and I'm trying to determine it's real model number.

On the back of the pv1000, the label says that it's a 2711-T10C9. According to AB's website, pv1k model 2711-T10C9 should have two rs232 ports but this pv1k doesn't. As seen from the pix below, it has an rs232 and a devicenet port. Since it has a devicenet and rs232, then the pv1k model number should be 2711-T10C10 instead.

I wonder if somebody swapped out the back cover, changed the label or swapped the rs232 port for a devicenet port. Is it even possible to change comm port PCB board on a pv1k?

img0186og.jpg

img0185hd.jpg

img0184iv.jpg

Last edited:
Those "EOI Marketing Department" stickers are typical of non-production prototypes or demo units that have been modified at the factory.

If it's got a DeviceNet daughtercard, it is for functional purposes a 2711-T10C10.

Prototypes are never offered for sale, so this one was probably loaned out and not returned to RA at some point.

I'm trying to connect to this pv1k with the 1761-net-DNI module to test out the devicenet daughter card.

First I need to commission the 1761-net-DNI. My DNI module is a series B and according to the manual, I can connect to it by using the rs232 port. I connected the DNI module to my computer rs232 port with cable 1761-CBL-PM02 and launched rslinx. I added a new df1 driver and clicked on autoconfigure. Rslinx gave me error "DFI Init Failure: data highway error - STS: 30 ... Verify the serial device for proper functioning, station addressing and configuration." During the auto-configure, it looks like rslinx found the comm settings but gave me the error when the status window says "verifying DFI setting..."

How do I troubleshoot this error?

I'm sure that my hardware is in good condition because I have used it to connect to a micrologix.

Last edited:
bump for some help.

This might be a stupid question but can I even connect to a 1761-net-dni with Rslinx using cable 1761-CBL-PM02? According to the user manual, I should be able to but I just want to make sure

The 1761-NET-DNI can be configured using RSNetworx for DeviceNet, via the DeviceNet network port. You'll need a 1770-KFD or 1784-PCD or 1784-U2DN or some bridged connection to DeviceNet for that.

You can also use the 1761-NET-DNI serial utility. This has its own serial driver and does not use RSLinx Classic, so you'll want to stop or delete any serial drivers in RSLinx to prevent driver conflicts.

The Net-DNI serial utility is downloadable from the MicroLogix firmware and utilities webpage:

http://www.ab.com/linked/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix/downloads.html

But let's take a step back: you said you want to use the 1761-NET-DNI to "test the PanelView DeviceNet card".

This isn't the usual role of the Net-DNI. The Net-DNI is a slave device with a serial network bridge that is built to allow messages to be exchanged with a MicroLogix controller.

The Net-DNI isn't the same as the 1770-KFD, which is a general purpose PC-to-DeviceNet serial interface that you would use to connect to the PanelView's DeviceNet port with RSLinx Classic and RSNetworx for DeviceNet software, or with PanelBuilder32 over DeviceNet.

You could, if you were a DeviceNet and DF1 expert, use the Net-DNI to send queries to the various DeviceNet objects supported by the PanelView.

Are you intending to use this terminal in production, or are you just curious about how it works ?

No it's not for production. I'm just using this old pv1k for educational purposes.

I was able to use the "DNI config utility" to config the DNI using the RS232 port.

The picture below is my setup. I don't have termination resistors nor the "official" trunk cable, but I think it should still work since the trunk wires are so short.

I configure my DNI to node 63 and set to the same baud rate as the PV1k (125K). When I power up my PV1k, I got error =1 with error message "not connected."

Since devicenet is a master/slave type network, then would I need to get a master device for the pv1k to connect to? My pv1k complains that it is "not connected" and I'm not sure what it wants to connect to
img0188cm.jpg

Last edited:
I did some research and finally found a power point slide from a university that made sense to me.

To test the pv1k devicenet card, I would need to get a master dnet device (i.e plc with dnet scanner card) and wire it to the devicenet network. After that, I would need to get a pc to devicenet interface device like the 1770-KFD and also wire it to the devicenet network. Next I would connect to the 1770-KFD with rslinx so that rsnetworx can be used to map the pv1k i/o to the scanner's memory block.

Am I right about the procedure above?

That's a good summary of the basic steps of creating and testing a DeviceNet network with this kind of equipment.

This isn't to say you can't do some useful things with the hardware you've got.

Do you have any PLCs with DF1 serial ports, like a MicroLogix or an SLC-5/05 ?

Well, a MicroLogix 1000 won't necessarily do what we want, with just one serial port and I'm not even sure it supports the MSG instruction.

Since this is a learning setup, you're really going to want to do things in the conventional way with an SLC or Logix family scanner like the 1747-SDN or 1769-SDN or 1756-DNB.

Is there anything at all that I can do with a micrologix 1000 with regards to dnet and my pv1k?

I'm surprise that the 1756-DNB only cost $50 on ebay and that is doable for me. The 1770-KFD costs $200+ on ebay and that is expensive. Is there cheaper alternative to getting the 1770-KFD? Is there a way to config the dnet nodes without using 1770-KFD? I do have a slc500 and a contrologix system ready to go.

Last edited: