PanelView 1000 Uploading/Downloading Issues

Hal9000

I'm currently updating an existing PanelView 1000. I am using PanelBuilder 32 (V3.82) to make the modifications to the client supplied backup of the .pva.

Set-up:

The HMI is connected to a 5/04 over a serial cable, but uses the DH-485 protocol. This is working fine.

PV1000c serial port settings: DH-485 19200 max node:2 node:2

PV 1000
Boot V01.06
Firmware: V03.40

Bytes Used: 218249
Bytes Free: 813879
P/N: 2711-K10C9
Rev: C
FRN: 3.40
Cable between PLC & HMI: 2711-NC13

Issue:

When I got to site I initially I tried to do an backup of the existing PanelView appliaction by using the "upload" feature in PB32. I connected to the PV via RSLinx, connecting on DH+ via the 5/04 CPU and bridging onto the DH-485 network. I can "see" the PV1000C ok. However when I initiated the upload process the upload failed on the second step:

Step 1: Identifying operator Terninal. OK
Step 2: Preparing for file transfer. FAILED

Error [2261] - Unable to communicate with operator terminal, did not receive a responce.

Things I tried:

I tried a different method of connecting to the PV1000C, this time via a 1747-UIC interface set to DH-485. Initially I coundn't see the PV1000C, but by changing the MAX NODE setting from 2 to 31 (at the PV1000C), I then could. However I got the same error message when trying to perform the upload.

I decided to go for the download option, but again I got the same issue. i.e. "did not receive a responce".

I re-tried the process again when setting the PV1000C to configuration mode and then run mode. Same issue.

Re-booted HMI. Same issue.

I must be missing something here. Is there another "mode" I need to put the HMI into to allow transfer to take place?

It's strange that it can identify the PC1000C OK, but then bombs out during the stepped process.

Could it be an issue with my version of PB32?

Any help here would be greatly appriciated.

JD

Caister HMI Comms Route.jpg Caister HMI Upload Error.jpg Caister HMI Download Error.jpg

May be a issue with the panelview firmware version. Many of the firmware kits are on the panelbuilder CD or you will have to call AB and get them from their FTP site as they are not up for unrestricted public download any longer.

Passthrough upload/download is one of those nice features that relies on the moon and stars being in proper alignment as well as a touch of the FM principle. If it doesn't work after you have tried twice and double checked your settings...move on to direct connection or (my preference) a memory card.

The fastest and most reliable way to deal with transferring programs to/from any standard panelview with a memory card slot is with a PCMCIA memory card. I use cheap and common sandisk CF cards formatted FAT16 with a CF to PCMCIA adapter.

There are some very old units still in service that require a linear flash type of card.

Here's a thread with a lot of detail on compatible cards.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=27523&highlight=panelview+linear+flash