Panelview 300 Help

drsamg

I purchased a PV300 with serial port and DH485 protocol (2711-T5A1 I think) by mistake. I wanted a PV300 with serial port and DF1 protocol. What Allen Bradley box, cable, or box and cable do I need to connect the PV300 with DH485 to my SLC5/05 with serial port and DF1 protocol? Also, what Allen Bradley box, cable, or box and cable do I need to connect the PV300 with DH485 to a computer serial port running PanelBuilder32?

I have looked at the Allen Bradley manuals but am not quite sure I know what is needed.

Sam

The part number is absolutely crucial here, because the part number you gave doesn't match the other information about the specific model of PanelView terminal.

This might be as simple as loading new firmware into the PanelView terminal, or it might require one or more 1761-NET-AIC modules and a handful of cables.

What you have will work. Just configure your 5/05 ch0 for dh485 protocol system mode. Then connect the cable straight. 2-2 3-3 5-5.

I've used both but like the DF1 better. The cable is different (nulled), but with the dh485, you need to configure a PIC driver in linx to download the darn thing. This is a pain for me because I usually have the DF1 driver configured for the SLC I'm using for the project. And I am constantly configuring and deleting the darn PIC driver when I want to change the panelview, because the df1 won't work with a PIC driver configured. What a pain in the _ss.

drsamg,

With the PanelView firmware utility you can actually go from DF1 to DH485 and back again. I did this when I was programming some PV300s and wanted to be online with the PV and Micrologic 1200 at the same time. You can't do this with DF1 and ML1200 since it only has 1 serial port. However with DH485 and a couple of NET-AICs you can.

The best way to program the 300 I have found is the Compact Flash Card in a PC Card adaptor. Try to find a small one, 8 MEG works good, the larger ones often do not work. Leave your cable to the PLC connected and you do not have to reconfigure RSLinx every time you go back and forth. The interface to a PC is cheap and easy if you have USB. The speed of transfer is also much better.

Please, Sam, come on back and post the part number of the PanelView terminal you have.

Each of the posts above have assumed a different model of terminal.

Only one of them is correct. But we won't know which one until you reveal the actual part number of your PanelView.

Please bawling

On the back there is a slot labeled memory card. I tried several differant PC Cards, but would half the time get an alarm of unformated card. I then tried a 8 MEG compact flash card in the PC Card adapter and it works great. I am using the 2711-K3A17L1 which is DF1 connected to CompactLogix 5330 with two serial ports. I can have the PLC and the PV300 connected together and still download changes to each one, one on serial and one with the card.

jhunt,

You are correct about the 2711-K3A17L1 which is the Keypad version. It does have a Flash Card slot. I have used several of the 300 Micro with part number 2711-M3A18L1 which does not have a memory slot. However as Ken said that does not tell us what model Sam is using. :unsure:

Sorry

To the recent posts that I have received about my PV300 problem.

1. I am sorry that I did not take the time to verify the model of the PV300 before sending my original post. I was confusing my PV550 Touch screen terminal model number with the PV300 which is keyboard. The specific PV300 I have is a 2711- K3A5L1.

2. I would very much like to return the PV300 but I have opened the box and have "played" with the unit so I do not feel right is returning it.

Sam

All will be revealed

Sam, that's good news.

K3 = Keypad, 3 inch
A = Monochrome screen
5 = RS-232 port with DH485 protocol
L1 = 24 VDC power

Because you have a PanelView 300 with an RS-232 port, it will accept both DF1 and DH485 firmware. If you'd had the 2711-K3A2L1 version, it would have a specific-purpose RS485 daughterboard and would not accept DF1 firmware.

If you wish to connect this terminal (once it's firmware is changed to DF1) to Channel 0 of your SLC-5/05, all you need is a straight-through DB9F/DB9F RS-232 serial cable. That same cable may be used to download applications to the PanelView from your PC using DF1 Full Duplex protocol.

You may choose to retain DH485 protocol, but you will need to reconfigure Channel 0 of your SLC-5/05 for DH485 protocol. The same cable may be used. Advantages include the ability to network several controllers to the PV300, and the main disadvantage is having to use the notorious 1747-PIC/AIC+ serial DH485 driver in RSLinx.

Last edited:
PanelView firmware is included on the PanelBuilder32 CD, and is available from the same support.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates site as a component of the PanelBuilder32 update.

If you don't have the bandwidth to download all the firmware, send me a Private Message on this forum and I will happily forward it to you.

IT WORKS!!

Thank you Ken Roach for the solution. I used the Firmware on the CD to change the PV300 from DH485 to DF1 and it works absolutely GREAT!

Thank all of you for helping me with this solution to my problem.

Sam Guccione
Eastern Illinois University

Happy Holidays to all!