PanelView Plus 6 - White Screen of Death

KerryP

I installed a new PanelView Plus to replace a PanelView Classic and converted the program. That process went pretty well. The PV Plus has been on line about ten days. Last night I got a call that the screen went white and the maintenance person had to reset it to get it to work normally again. I searched online and read posts going back to like 2004. Some of the older posts seemed to point toward hardware issues while some of the new posts spoke of the PanelView navigating to non-existant screens.

This application does not use PLC-based screen control. However, during development I deleted the [ALARM], [INFORMATION] and [DIAGNOSTICS] displays just to see what would happen if I built my own instead. At my age, I should know better.

I will now search for how to restore these screens to this application because I am haunted by guilt about my indiscretions.

Otherwise, I am looking for suggestions.

The Panelviews sure have some funny quirks, I deleted one of the canned demo programs once, that caused it to crash.
They also have a lot of hardware failures.
It's RedLion for me from now on.

What model is it? We treat the 600+ as disposable, using as many as two dozen of them per year to support about 12 installations. The 1000+ is better, but we've had our fair share of failures. One time the screen graphics turned upside down and we had already used our spare. A creative mainteneace tech flipped the screen upside down and figured out how to fool the touch calibration to make it somewhat use-able for two days.

The 700+ has been more reliable for us. Most of our failures are due to vibration and water intrusion. the Red Lion HMIs hold up better, but we have managed to kill two back lights ($150 repair) and gash one touchscreen with a wrench (not repairable).

I have seen the white screen of death a number of times, and occasionally, we are able to dry one out and get some more use out of it.