Panelview Plus 7 Basics

alive15

Good afteroon, I am new to programming Panelview plus 7 using Factory talk from AB. I successfully uploaded the .mer file from an HMI screen. I can "run" the application on factory talk ME and see the screen on my laptop, press buttons, and make the machine run through my laptop, but I want to open the project file and modify button names, move things around, add screens, etc.

I though hitting "load application" would do this, but all it does is place the name of the file in the description. How do I open it to edit it, then re-download?

Thanks!!!

If you want to edit the application, you need to use the Application Manager to restore the runtime first. Assuming that it was compiled to allow restoring. In the Application Manager, you select the bottom option "Restore runtime application".

What version of FactoryTalkView Studio are you running?

Edit: Also, I'm guessing that "load application" you are seeing is from ME Station. This software package is meant to allow you to run applications on a PC as if it were a PanelView, it is no the program that edits the applications.

Good afteroon, I am new to programming Panelview plus 7 using Factory talk from AB. I successfully uploaded the .mer file from an HMI screen. I can "run" the application on factory talk ME and see the screen on my laptop, press buttons, and make the machine run through my laptop, but I want to open the project file and modify button names, move things around, add screens, etc.

I though hitting "load application" would do this, but all it does is place the name of the file in the description. How do I open it to edit it, then re-download?

Thanks!!!
I actually wrote about this not long ago... I'm not sure why Rockwell makes this process this complicated...
https://www.solisplc.com/tutorials/...-factorytalk-view-studio-editable-application

In short, do the following:
1. Launch Application Manager.
2. Select “Restore runtime application”.
3. Press “Next”.
4. In the “Specify the runtime application to restore” field, click on the “...” button.
5. OPTIONAL - specify the password of the application.
6. Click “Next”.
The application will be restored into a FactoryTalk View ME application that the user may now launch from the main software package and edit.

@dmroeder Hey man, I am using version 9, CPR 9, SR 9, patch 47, build 241. Yes, I see what you are saying, I have just tried doing it through View Studio.

@Vlad Romanov Thanks for your website man, it was really helpful in following the steps

@All So here is the issue: I uploaded using transfer utlility and got the .mer file in a folder on my desktop. Then I close out of View Studio (VS), and reopen. Then I go to 'application manager' and select 'restore runtime application' and select my file. I set no password and enter a new name for the application and hit finish. I see it loading everything up, but when it completes, it goes back to the application manager? View studio is still empty?

You should now have a project you can open in Studio using 'Open Application'.

And once you are done editing, in order to get a .mer you can download you will use Application->Create Runtime Application

Last edited:
@dmroeder Hey man, I am using version 9, CPR 9, SR 9, patch 47, build 241. Yes, I see what you are saying, I have just tried doing it through View Studio.

@Vlad Romanov Thanks for your website man, it was really helpful in following the steps

@All So here is the issue: I uploaded using transfer utlility and got the .mer file in a folder on my desktop. Then I close out of View Studio (VS), and reopen. Then I go to 'application manager' and select 'restore runtime application' and select my file. I set no password and enter a new name for the application and hit finish. I see it loading everything up, but when it completes, it goes back to the application manager? View studio is still empty?
Going back to application manager is normal after it completes. You should close and re-open studio; it doesn't "automatically" add it... Not sure why...

@All Yes, I have tried opening the project folder that I created, but I am stuck getting these two errors, see pictures attached. I am searching online myself on how to fix this SQL error, I may have to re-install. Also, I am trying to figure out why the tag database is not being uploaded either. If anyone has any info on these, please share with me! I'll be googling in the meantime.

error.JPG error2.JPG

@Vlad Romanov Thanks man, unfortunately our company did not renew the tech connect this year. Are you able to share the summary of what I need to do? Or PM? If so, I would greatly appreciate it!

Factorytalk View Studio and Machine Edition: Version 9.00.00

After receiving the KB article, I am still having issues with the sql server 2008 error. My laptop has a 32 bit OS, but I believe this HMI project was created with 64 bit OS.

All I have is the .mer file which I uploaded directly from HMI and then the project folder which I got from using "restore runtime application" through the application manager. Is there some way to convert my .mer file or project folder so I can open on my 32 bit OS laptop?

Is there a way to tell what version my .mer file that I uploaded from Panelview? I have a feeling it's a V11, but my ViewStudio is only V9.

Edit: I only see up to v10 on rockwell's website, so I'm going to install that soon and give it a try

If they have an V11 for the HMI [FTME] they would have V11 for studio. I've always had a tool kit so never needed to really worry about the differences. I've always had the whole package.

I'll look for a link.