PanelView plus incompatible version? options?

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I am trying to load a .mer via USB to a PV+, when doing so I received an error that its not compatible.

Using Dustin's little gem (thank you!) http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=90986 I found out its V6.0, not knowing a lot about PV's and looks like the PV is 5.10.02

Not having Factory Talk what are my options? Can I flash the PV? its a K7C4D1

Thank you!
Mark

I am trying to load a .mer via USB to a PV+, when doing so I received an error that its not compatible.

Using Dustin's little gem (thank you!) http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=90986 I found out its V6.0, not knowing a lot about PV's and looks like the PV is 5.10.02

Not having Factory Talk what are my options? Can I flash the PV? its a K7C4D1

Thank you!
Mark
The unit you have is an original line 'Panelview Plus'. Since the file is v6, it will only run on a 'Panelview Plus 6' (or 7). They re-used the bezels when transitioning to the 6 line so from the front they are indistinguishable from the original line, but the logic modules changed so you cannot flash up to v6 firmware.

Your basic options are

1) Somehow get the file converted to v5.1 or lower. Unless whoever created it chose to disable conversion back, someone with Factorytalk View Studio could likely do this for you.

2) Get a newer line Panelview Plus.

They re-used the bezels when transitioning to the 6 line so from the front they are indistinguishable from the original line, but the logic modules changed so you cannot flash up to v6 firmware.

Thank you!

Thats what got me... so another dumb question, can I just get a newer logic module? or do I need another unit.

If I need another unit I take it the part number should be 2711p-K7C4D8 or D9 to be a V6/7

Thats what got me...
You're not the first, and won't be the last... I've been bitten by it myself.
so another dumb question, can I just get a newer logic module? or do I need another unit.
I think that should work. It would have to be a '6' logic module specifically, not the newer '7'... not sure of the exact part number off-hand but I'm sure you can find it.

If I need another unit I take it the part number should be 2711p-K7C4D8 or D9 to be a V6/7
That seems correct for the complete unit based on Rockwell's catalog conversion document. You could also upgrade to the current '7' line (2711P-B7C22D9P), but note the cutout dimensions are different.

I also have the .apa file, can I use that to convert it?
If you have FTView Studio.

.apa was originally the only way to transfer development between computers. Once .mer gained the ability to be converted back into a project in v5 (v6 if created in a 64-bit environment, don't ask why the difference...) .apa became largely obsolete.

Since you have a v6 .mer file, unless the programmer who created it selected 'do not allow conversion' then restoring from it should have basically the same result as restoring from the .apa, and you'd then need to create a 5.1 .mer from the resulting project.

Thank you very much for the help, funny how when a customer wants a back up HMI... "oh this is a easy job, sure I will take it" then reality sets in "OMG I hate this job, what a pain"

dmroeder said:
Send it to me, I'll convert it to v5.1.

Music to my ears, I sent you a PM

Edit: and thank you JTCat for the reply

Last edited: