Panelview Plus Network Printing - DNS Problem

whirlair

I have an application where I have 2 PanelView Plus 1000 HMIs that need to print to the same printer. I have a printer that works USB, but I cannot get network printing to work. This printer is a network printer, it is not connected via PC. I found that a DNS server is needed from a knowledge base entry. My problem is there is not a PC on the network to act as a DNS server and adding a PC just so I can print isn't cost effective. I also can't do 2 USB printers because the distance is too great.

Anyone know a work around? Or is there some hub/switch/DNS server combo available? Has anyone even got the network printing to work at all?

You could run a cheap router w/ DD-WRT on it to get DNS.
However, Looking at that knowledge base article, It seems like all the directions are for using a local printer attached to a computer and shared. You may not be able to use a straight network printer(as these typically need a local driver setup w/ the IP address as the tcp-ip port).

You could run a cheap router w/ DD-WRT on it to get DNS.
However, Looking at that knowledge base article, It seems like all the directions are for using a local printer attached to a computer and shared. You may not be able to use a straight network printer(as these typically need a local driver setup w/ the IP address as the tcp-ip port).

I think you are right. I have everything on my desk right now with a DNS server and it won't print. It's looking for a shared printer. It does not work to simply enter the printer host name in the network path.

I'll have to try using DD-WRT. I'll post the results.

Although unlikely, is there any way to have 2 USB connections to a single printer?

whirlair said:
Although unlikely, is there any way to have 2 USB connections to a single printer?

Yes...sorta...

Last week we were able to get two iFix SCADA PCs to operate the same printer using a USB KVM (keyboard/video/mouse) switch. I think it's made by ATEN. I can find out the exact p/n, but not sure it will help you because only the device currently selected has control of the printer...not sure that would help you...you'd have to push the button to switch between panelviews.

I would expect there are simpler devices that would do the same thing but without the KVM switch, which you would not need, and it would need to work "on-demand".

EDIT: Like this

Last edited:
Yes...sorta...

Last week we were able to get two iFix SCADA PCs to operate the same printer using a USB KVM (keyboard/video/mouse) switch. I think it's made by ATEN. I can find out the exact p/n, but not sure it will help you because only the device currently selected has control of the printer...not sure that would help you...you'd have to push the button to switch between panelviews.

I would expect there are simpler devices that would do the same thing but without the KVM switch, which you would not need, and it would need to work "on-demand".

EDIT: Like this

I may give that device a try, but I don't think it will work with a PV Plus. From reading the reviews it seems like software needs to be installed for it to function.

Thanks

I may give that device a try, but I don't think it will work with a PV Plus. From reading the reviews it seems like software needs to be installed for it to function.

Thanks

Yeah, I noticed that, but not sure if its required, or if it's just for bells and whistles to allow you to switch devices via the PC. It would probably be something you'd have to try to find the answer to that question.

I would expect the software to be mandatory really. Otherwise what constitutes 'in use'. I'd bet the Panelviews keep the usb connection open all the time.

After messing around further I do not think DD-WRT will work. From what I see the PVP doesn't have any drivers for ethernet so it has to be mapped through a device with the driver. The walk through only adds a USB driver, not a printer driver, to the router. This makes sense because the walk through is for making a USB printer a network printer. The printer I have is a network printer.

I configured my PC in the same fashion as the router walk through. I made a port to the host name of the printer and used the same generic driver. The PVP could print this way.

Maybe someday I will have the time to mess with this more, but for now I'm just going to get 2 USB printers and some 65 foot USB cords. If only AB would have loaded the Generic / Text-only printer driver to the PVPs and sent print data on port 9100. :(

Thanks

Last edited:
Yeah usb max length is 5m iirc.

I have a dd-wrt router in the office w/ a usb port. I'll give it a try in the next couple days.