PDF Viewer (FoxItReader) in Factorytalk View ME

That catalog # is for PVPlus 6 so my comment before about the "C" vs "B" version was I assumed it was a PVPlus 7 so please disregard.

Sorry I have nothing to add to why your ActiveX PDF setup is not working, if RA ever had it working with FoxItReader to begin with.

Last effort actually here. Did you use string tags or literal inputs... and if you used literal inputs did you enter something like this document has posted? wondering if I am missing a set of double quotes...

Hello! First time poster, been reading forums ever since I graduated.

I am calling on the PLC gods to hopefully help me through an issue with the built in PDF reader in Factorytalk View - FoxItReader.

I am trying to access a PDF file on the removeable SD on the back of the panelview (Storage Card2) and get an error;

"There was an error opening this document. Sharing Violation!"

After two days of trying and a two hour long phone call with the Rockwell support center I have tried the following:

- Reading off a USB & Reading off a Storage card & Saving to\My Documents on the Panelview

The problem is that when accessing the file (Called M1.pdf) from FoxItReader on the Panelview the pdf opens and is readable!

FoxItReader also launches through the ActiveX control, but cannot launch the PDF for some reason.

Using ActiveX control MEprogramlauncher w literal strings
Program location: "foxitreader.exe"
Program Parameters: "\My Documents\M1.pdf"

Have tried all combinations of slashes etc... Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
hey i created this account to tell you ive figured it out.

in your MEprogramlauncher activex, assign programlocation to an HMI string tag as MEMORY with an initial value of foxitreader

assign programparameter to an HMI string tag as MEMORY with an initial value of "\usb storage\yourpdfnamehere.pdf"

i am using a pvp7 serB and was getting the same issues of sharing violations.

i found that the panelview might be attempting to open 2 instances of foxitreader at the same time, causing the violation.

so,again.

PROGRAMLOCATION=foxitreader
PROGRAMPERAMETER="\usb storage\whydididothistomyself.pdf"

and to be extraspicy you can even assign a plc tag to launchENABLE and make your PVP explode when you accidently load 7 pdf at the same time.

-edit- Tag names dont seem to matter, just initial value.

happy programming!
-with love
-kitchensink

Last edited: