PDF Viewer (FoxItReader) in Factorytalk View ME

LoveDoctor

Hello! First time poster, been reading forums ever since I graduated.

I am calling on the PLC gods to hopefully help me through an issue with the built in PDF reader in Factorytalk View - FoxItReader.

I am trying to access a PDF file on the removeable SD on the back of the panelview (Storage Card2) and get an error;

"There was an error opening this document. Sharing Violation!"

After two days of trying and a two hour long phone call with the Rockwell support center I have tried the following:

- Reading off a USB & Reading off a Storage card & Saving to\My Documents on the Panelview

The problem is that when accessing the file (Called M1.pdf) from FoxItReader on the Panelview the pdf opens and is readable!

FoxItReader also launches through the ActiveX control, but cannot launch the PDF for some reason.

Using ActiveX control MEprogramlauncher w literal strings
Program location: "foxitreader.exe"
Program Parameters: "\My Documents\M1.pdf"

Have tried all combinations of slashes etc... Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you very much for the reply.

I have tried without the back slash at the beginning and no dice. When you say no spaces are you referring to the space between Storage & Card or am I missing something.

The Rockwell support had me try everything from:

"Storage Card2\M1.pdf"
"\Storage Card2\M1.pdf"
"Storage Card2/M1.pdf"

and I still can't seem to find a combination that works. Any other suggestions?

I should mention that the version of FTView that I am making the project is in 12 but I am creating the Runtime for a Firmware version of 8, though I can't see how this would affect the system considering I can open the PDF on the windows OS of the Panelview

Last edited:
Your third option is how mine is formatted. Edit: That is the correct path to a PDF saved on the root of a SD card.

If at any point Foxit started but did not find the PDF, my experience has been even if you corrected the path, you need to reboot the PanelView before it will actually open the PDF. Otherwise, it just launches foxit without opening the file.

Last edited:
Your third option is how mine is formatted. Edit: That is the correct path to a PDF saved on the root of a SD card.

If at any point Foxit started but did not find the PDF, my experience has been even if you corrected the path, you need to reboot the PanelView before it will actually open the PDF. Otherwise, it just launches foxit without opening the file.

I will give this a try later, resetting in-between.

So you had success with a forward slash? Interesting.

I appreciate the insight, I will give it a whirl tomorrow and update - lab is full for training today

Is yours a series B? I just tried it with a series B PanelView Plus and got the same result as you....

Its a PVP 1500 series C

The lab freed up and so I had a chance to check a few things:

Tried "Storage Card2\M1.pdf", got a sharing violation

Power cycled

Tried "Storage Card2/M1.pdf", got a sharing violation

Let me know if you find a way around it, I am truly stumped

Its a PVP 1500 series C

The series C is the Stainless Steel version of series B.
Could you tell us the full PVP catalog number?

There is a RA KB about the sharing violation but you need a TechConnect account to access.

ID: QA47732 | Access Levels: TechConnect
Foxit Reader will not open a particular PDF; sharing violation error
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/121273/loc/en_US#__highlight

The KB does state if your PVP cat. # end in "9" you can use the Microsoft PDF viewer JETCET instead. located: \Windows\wt6explr.exe

Last edited:
The series C is the Stainless Steel version of series B.
Could you tell us the full PVP catalog number?

There is a RA KB about the sharing violation but you need a TechConnect account to access.

ID: QA47732 | Access Levels: TechConnect
Foxit Reader will not open a particular PDF; sharing violation error
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/121273/loc/en_US#__highlight

The KB does state if your PVP cat. # end in "9" you can use the Microsoft PDF viewer JETCET instead. located: \Windows\wt6explr.exe

The full catalog is 2711P-RDT15C

Yesterday I did access that RA KB article and stepped through it with the Tech on the phone.

It's unlikely the SD or the USB because I've tried three different USBs and also accessed it from the Panelview, moved it to PV desktop and PV my documents and opened it from there. Of course changing the path between USB Storage, and Storage Card and My Documents.

I can even open FoxItReader on PV then select open and do it that way as well - just not with the ActiveX control button on PV Screen for whatever reason.

The full catalog is 2711P-RDT15C

That catalog # is for PVPlus 6 so my comment before about the "C" vs "B" version was I assumed it was a PVPlus 7 so please disregard.

Sorry I have nothing to add to why your ActiveX PDF setup is not working, if RA ever had it working with FoxItReader to begin with.

That catalog # is for PVPlus 6 so my comment before about the "C" vs "B" version was I assumed it was a PVPlus 7 so please disregard.

Sorry I have nothing to add to why your ActiveX PDF setup is not working, if RA ever had it working with FoxItReader to begin with.

Thank you anyway. On the call the technician said "This is a very common feature that people generally have no problems with"... I'm guessing that statement is a little distant from the truth