Peer to Peer SLC500 to CLX5000 on ControlNet

RSL

I have searched the forums and looked pretty hard in the AB literature. I still am not 100% sure.

Can you use a 1747-SCNR to produce/consume data to a 1756-L63 via a CNB on ControlNet? If so, is it documented somewhere?

I have seen some diagrams in the literature that show them on the same network. I can't find anything in the knowledgebase documents. Well actually I found one document that seemed to be what I needed, but it was locked or something.

Thanks

RSL

Yes. The 1747-SCNR is the only SLC-family component that can participate in a scheduled ControlNet connection with ControlLogix. It is uncommon but possible.

The connection methods are not symmetric.

A Produced Tag configured in RSLogix 5000 is consumed by the 1747-SCNR in a Receive Data From connection, configured in RSNetworx for CNet.

In RSLogix 5000 a ControlNet Generic I/O Module connection is configured to consume data produced by the 1747-SCNR in a Send Data To connection, configured in RSNetworx for CNet.

You need to understand and take into consideration the 32-bit nature of Logix data and 16-bit nature of SLC data, as well as some overhead connection status bytes normally hidden from the user.

The best explanation of this technique is in the RSNetworx for ControlNet online Help. In the Contents tab, browse to Release Notes -> Integration with other Rockwell Automation products -> RSNetworx for ControlNet and RSLogix 5000 with an SLC-500.

Print out that section of the Help file, sharpen a pencil and find a highlighter. You might want to have a couple aspirin handy too.

Ken,

Thanks for the information.

You make it sound like sooooo much fun. I will read up and maybe post a question or two more.

Thanks again.

RSL