Pf525 -- pf70

randers

Hello all,
New to this site -
I am adding a new conveyor and using a powerflex 525, though the rest of the drives operating this line are powerflex 70's. Ethernet isn't an option.
Is it possible and if so how to hardwire from the 525 to the 70 so they are simply starting/stopping simultaneously?
Thanks in advance

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

The simplest method for getting two conveyors to follow the same speed and start/stop commands is to wire their command and reference inputs to the same PLC signals.

PowerFlex 525 lends itself pretty well to that on the discrete start/stop side because the Discrete Inputs can be wired either as sinking or sourcing, and they're basically just opto-isolators: the voltages to run them can easily come from outside of the drive if you just don't use the local +24V source.

How you do the analog references (if there are analog references) depends on the signal type. Are you using 0-10V, or 4-20 mA, or programmable presets, or something else ?

>Ethernet isn't an option

Are the PowerFlex 70's operated over Ethernet, but the PowerFlex 525 cannot be despite having an embedded EtherNet/IP port ?

If you basically need to set up the PowerFlex 525 as a "hardwired slave" to a PowerFlex 525, I'll have to get out the user manuals to show precisely which terminals you'll use and parameters you'll set to use the Analog Out and Discrete Out on the PF70 to command the PF525.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay -
DeviceNet is controlling the PF70's and I don't have another comm card to use.
I've tried the 4-20 method and will start accordingly but will not stop when the button is pushed, also I got the same result when just jumping from terminal 2 to a open relay.

Depending on what outputs are already in use on the PF70s, you might be able to set an input on the PF525 to be a 2-wire run and have the PF70's output be configured for "at speed" or "running". I don't remember if the PF70 has an embedded analog output but if it does, it can be configured to be the speed feedback and wired to the PF525's analog input as its speed reference. Assuming, of course, that voltage/mA/etc. are all compatible. As jraef mentioned, if the PF70s have 120V I/O, you'll need to use interposing relays.