Photoelectric & noise

theripley

Can noise (electrical noise) affects a photoelectric sensor?

We have encountered a case wherein the signal "chatters", but when wire was replaced with a shielded wire (with wire shield properly grounded), the signal does not "chatter" anymore.

Can someone help me figure this out?

The most common cause of sensor noise I've run into is when the sensor wire is run in close proximity to a noisy source (inverter, high voltage, etc..)

Inverters are especially noisy. Many times the motor cabling isn't shielded.

Definitely.

I once had to replace all of the 2-wire inductive proximity sensors on a machine with 3-wire sensors because the 2-wire would "chatter" when the nearby VFDs turned on.

I see. The sensor wire is in proximity to the motor wires from VFD, I now know. Thank you.

Aside from using shielded wire, is there any other option? Shielded wires are quiet expensive.

either use electrical isolation by distance.
or a 'Faraday Cage' / steel conduit.
(this is the effect of shielding)
what you are looking at is an induced voltage.