Photoelectric Sensor Wiring

eyespyral

Can anyone tell me how to properly wire a 42CA photoelectric sensor? I am having trouble getting my Micrologix 1000 to detect an input coming from the sensor, and it may be possible that I have it wired incorrectly. The transmitter is wired as follows: Brown to +DC, and Blue to -DC. For the reciever: Brown to + DC, Blue to -DC, and Black to I/0. Is this correct?

Last edited:
The 42CA is an 18mm general purpose photoelectric sensor (I have the transmitted beam type) that can be configured as either NPN or PNP. It's an Allen Bradley sensor, and the wiring diagram in the manual is not entirely clear. I am using the Micrologix 24V power supply to power the sensor.

if the sensor is PNP you probably wired it correcly.
why don't you post exact part number of the sensor and
which input you are trying to use? Some micrologix1000
have analog I/O too.
Why don't you test the photoeye alone (connect voltmeter
to the output and watch for changes when beam is crossed)?

Last edited:
The sensor part numbers are 42CA-E1EZB-A2 (for transmitter) and 42CA-R1JPB-A2 (for reciever), and I'm trying to connect it to a 10pt Micrologix 1000 (1761-L10BWA). I'm using input I/0, which is a digital input.

Derek

What have you done with the white wire from the receiver? You must tie it to the brown wire for light operate or to the blue wire for dark operate. See note 2 or 3 on the connection diagram.

I cannot find the receiver part number in A-B online catalog but assuming it is a PNP device (they must be ordered as NPN or PNP, they are not configurable in the field) you must configure the Micrologix inputs as sinking. To do this, tie the negative 24 volt line to the Input DC Com.

Good Luck