Pick and Place Offload Conveyor Supplier?

TheStarr

Seems slow today, so here is one I have been working on for awhile.

Does anyone have a good source for small belt conveyors?

I got a few quotes and they seem high ($1000+)

What I need is an 8" wide x 18" long belt conveyor. It needs to be slimline, 2 1/2" or less height (not counting motor and drive obviously).

Length could be 18" to 24" would work.

Fixed speed, it is just unloading into a tote from a pick&place that drops a part every 7 seconds.

Doesn't seem that hard or special. Wish I could just find a catalog of generic small conveyors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Looks like robotunits is in Germany, shipping would be a killer.

As for used (supermarket) conveyors, I wouldn't mind if I could find one that was the right size. Haven't had any luck at McMaster-Carr, Grainger, Surplus Center, MSC, Harbor Freight, PLC Center, etc......

I could have one built by our local shop, but I am sure it would top the $1000 mark. Just blank conveyor motors run about $300. Plus, then I might not have any support or a steady supply of spare belts.

Everyday I seem closer and closer to submitting that big requisition to the people upstairs!

If it were my money, I know I wouldn't pay that much.

Guess you have to spend money to make money!

Throwing ideas out....

Can you move the tote and have the pick&place drop them into the tote or how about a chute that the parts just slide down into the tote.

Can't get them in the tote with the pick and place. I would need about a 24" long cylinder and the cycle time would be too slow.

No room for a chute. I am picking off a robotic slide that sits out in the middle of a 1" thick steel base plate. Not enough altitude to make the parts slide down the chute.

But thanks for the ideas.

I will have to get a quote from Powermotion Sales, although those look pretty nice ($$$).

Hytrol, Axmann, Rapid Stand, Roach Dorner. Are just a few that I have used over the years. We starded making out own in the shop then started outsourcing them to me at home after hours.
Do you need any conveyor tracking for the robot?
I have used powered rollers to make extra small drive systems with very little height (Under a stamping die)

We used to use Robotunits' extrusion for all our guarding a while back (when they first started selling here). Their US office is (or at least USED to be) in NJ, and they would assemble and deliver everything to us for free. They might not offer this service anymore though... :confused:

I've never used Robotunits' conveyors, but they seem pretty good. For conveyors, my #1 choice has always been Dorner, but yes, they can get pricey!

-Eric

I would just order all the bit/pieces from places like Misumi/Mcmaster Carr...ect and build it myself...You'll get hosed otherwise.
you could buy a "FLAT BELT" system from Misum complete? not sure if you have seen them?
CVSB-200-540-6-T100-IM-12.5-H
This one runs for approx. $1000. USD and ships in 11 days.
(200MM WIDE 540 MM LONG)
Hope this helps.
If I had more time I would offer to build one for you at less cost....

roll your own

A 6 ft alum C channel you cut to length. some flat stock and a powered drive roller.. for the idler roller, a piece of pipe, Have a local machine shop bore the ends of the pipe for the bearings. 2 bearings and a piece of drill rod for the shaft, 2 split collars to hold it in place & an electric drill. Mc Master should have every thing you need. Should make a nice project. Have fun. PS here in Ohio we have a local company that makes conveyor belting. I am shure there is one in NY

We have had good luck with QC Conveyors for low-profile conveyors; they are well built and trouble free for the most part. We don't use Dorner anymore because our techs find them harder to work on.

I would guess that QC would be under $1k for a 8" x 18" basic model, but in general these types of conveyors seem to be expensive from any vendor. We usually provide our own drive motors and mounts since they'll hose you on that as well. I like the suggestions of building your own using stock parts... I'll have to look into that for my next project.

Maybe I am not seeing all the details, but wouldn't a simple slide transfer work? It seems to me a rodless Pneu cylinder with a 800-900mm stroke could do the same task. A lot simpler/cheaper in the mechanical details. Just my $0.02.