PID - Not this week, JUST Feed Forwards instead.

The TC is related to both

kamenges said:

You seem to infer from your response to this question that the time constant is more related to the sensor/actuator response that to the torque (or force) to inertia (or mass) ratio. I would think that would have a larger effect on the system time constant than the actuator or sensor time constant.

Keith

If you are designing a motor you want to maximize the torque to mass ratio to minimize the time constant. If you are in the field you do not know the mass and the torque but you can measure the time constant.

Motor Response

Here you adjust the gain, mass and resistance. The higher the gain the faster the system will go. Increasing the mass and the resistance will increase the time constant. Increasing the resistance will also limit the steady state speed. Try it. With what has been presented here one could calcuate how the motor should be tuned given the mass, resistances and gain.