PID simulator?

Jasondelane

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've google search and checked the forum, but I haven't found quite what I'm looking for. I've been reading up on PID and I'm looking for a simulator to help me fully grasp all the concepts. Any suggestions?

I'm a beginner to, but Matlab with Simulink does all you will ever need :)

What you need a closed loop simulator

I've google search and checked the forum, but I haven't found quite what I'm looking for. I've been reading up on PID and I'm looking for a simulator to help me fully grasp all the concepts. Any suggestions?
You don't tune PIDs, you tune a system.

It is important to know what kind of system you are tuning.
Here is one for a simple position control.
http://www.deltamotion.com/peter/xls/T1P1 PID.zip

Tank level control would be similar.

Temperature control would be much different.

A google search for "temperature loop simulator" got me several hits. Many PLC platforms have a simulation function for checking your code without hardware (I know B&R and Elau/Schneider do)

There's a few available on the Google Play store, great thing to have in your phone to kill time when needed!