Pilz problems

rootboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys, we have two identical Pilz relays that monitor the motion contactors in our robots. One relay is for the robot's axis motion, and the other is for the paint pump.

Both Pilz relays are: PNOZ X9P AC and they also monitor the same devices in their inputs.

With everything reset, both relays show POWER, IN CH. 1, IN CH. 2 and CH.1 Out LEDs illuminated. The START and CH. 2 LEDs are off.

The Pilz monitors robots 1 - 3 on one chain, and 4 - 6 on the other. Not really the right way to do it, but it has worked in the past. A summation of the 6 robots "not faulted" provides the reset. I've included a stripped down drawing.

We aren't getting the safety contacts turned on, but the inputs look good. Any ideas as to why? It works sporadically, lately less than usual.

Pilz Relay for MPS.png

Every time I pull a Pilz manual out it scrambles my head at first lol. Do the 2 channel output lights represent the 2 semi conductor outputs?

If so look at the Monitored Reset Time Graph (3) in this manual. It appears that the 2nd output light will come on when the start signal is seen. Are you having an issue with the start input?

http://www.is-com.ru/files/PNOZ_X9P_en.pdf

Every time I pull a Pilz manual out it scrambles my head at first lol.

No kidding, I'm convinced that translating one of the other languages that the instructions come in would make more sense. :)

Do the 2 channel output lights represent the 2 semi conductor outputs?

You've got me. In all of the manuals that I have looked through so far, it really doesn't say.

If so look at the Monitored Reset Time Graph (3) in this manual. It appears that the 2nd output light will come on when the start signal is seen. Are you having an issue with the start input?

http://www.is-com.ru/files/PNOZ_X9P_en.pdf

Looking through the PDF that you provided (I didn't have this one, and it makes more sense than the other two that I had been looking at), we have ours wired for an automatic Start/Reset, so I'm not sure how the graph would apply. We do have the feedback loop wired - whatever that is.

The manual that you provided clears up the inputs nicely (Thanks!!), the outputs are still murky.

As it so happens, the equipment is working just fine at the moment (I'm sure that this will change...). I'm convinced that putting different robots on different chains is the problem (the inputs won't necessarily close at the same time. In fact, it would be highly unlikely).

And would it kill Pilz to provide decent documentation? Lord knows that they charge enough for the relay...

Thanks for your help! I hadn't found that version of the documentation. I had the operating manual, and the datasheet. Go figure... :)