PLC-5 1771-DA Module

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
A question was sent via PM this morning from a new member (Vince9521, from up in Timmins, Ontario) that I'm promoting to the main forum:

plc-5 1771-DA,
I am trying to set up the card but from what I read I need to initialize the card but am i able to do that with out the special programmer. Or can I initialize it with the processor and data files ?

Last edited:
The 1771-DA was an ASCII communications module from the early 1980's that was used with PLC-2, PLC-3, and PLC-5 Classic controllers. With the advent of the Channel 0 serial port on the PLC-5 Enhanced and the more capable 1771-DB BASIC52 interpreter module, the 1771-DA declined in popularity.

My recollection is that it was configured and controlled entirely by ladder logic and Block Transfer instructions. I don't think there is a "terminal mode" or menu-driven configuration function.

The User manual is available from the RA Literature Library, but because of its age the step-by-step instructions focus on the PLC-2 and PLC-3.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1771-um513_-en-p.pdf

What is your goal: are you trying to repair or troubleshoot an existing system, or are you trying to program one of these modules to add features to a PLC-5 system ?

Post as much context and detail as you can about your processor (model of PLC-5) and application (what's connected to the RS-232 port ?).

And again, welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !