PLC 5 1771DB to CLX

NBJamie99

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been asked to quote a PLC upgrade, in which the customer wishes to replace the current plc 5 processor with a RIO module, and add a new control logix rack. I believe I have most of this under control, from various searches here and on Google.

But... The existing rack has a 1771-DB module, which the customer has the DRS file for, but leads me to my question.

Q1. It appears the PLC 5 was accessing data from the 1771-DB the same way it does from an analog IO card (BTR, BTW). Would I be safe to assume that I should be able to handle this in Logix the same way as analog IO with messages?

If it makes any difference, to my knowledge the module only has a connection on the RS-232 port.

Thanks in advance.

Details: 1785-L80B processor. 1 DH+ connection, and 3 RIO channels.

If anything else is needed, I would be happy to provide it.

Yes in general it's the same BTR/BTW interface. I've done the same conversion you have where the customer had old ASCII scales attached via RS232. Seems like mine only required BTR since there was no configuration data.