PLC Architecture

Richika_a

I am a student of final year BE Electronics and Instrumentation and have chosen to do my project on VLSI design. I wish to implement a PLC design using VHDL as entry level language. For that I need to study the available architectures of PLCs. Kindly guide as to where I can get relevant information.

Hi Richika,

I guess by architectuere means you are talking about the PLC hardware and the ladder logic software to program the PLC.

And as far as I know VHDL is the software to design VLSI products.

What you can do is start with traditional PLC kind of architecture, now traditional PLCS were nothing but a ON/OFF switch (electromechanical) that means it has coil which gets energised by passing electric current, the contact closes and the power is supplied to the respective terminals or end device.

A group of such electromechanical switch forms PLC.

Now modern PLCs have lots of functions including analogs, PID, storage of information capability etc, but that consideration will make your project more complex in your architecture design.

I would recommend you to use basic kind of PLC architecture and then add on features if you want to.