PLC Change notice form

Use change management software. It also allows you to revert back to previous versions of software and track user changes. MDT, Versionworks and there may be other around.

If you want a custom app that has exactly whatever form fields you want that will allow you to store the project file with every revision and even possibly extend to a compare tool, let me know.

Your crew can then use this same application to check in/ check out the latest file helping you better manage your files.

I can write this app for relatively cheap.

Let me know if interested.

I put a line in the first rung comment of the main:

r123: 2013-01-12 PEC: And this is where I describe what I did...for the hunderd and twenty thurd change.

r124: 2014-05-22 PEC: In real life, I spell meticulously, and don't repeat the same comments about the details. Here is just a summary, the details are noted on the affected rungs, along with date and initials. The r number (revision) will be the new save as file name suffix.

The first rung might end up really long, so I might only show the most recent ten of them...
For older ones, open older files. I suppose it could be handy to have a single simple form for this, but right there in the program file is where I wanna see what I just did, what others did, most recently...

I suggest doing this in addition to a standalone system, if you are not all working from the same source files. If I had to support multiple programmers that might be using non networked laptops, I would still want to have centralized file backup, but a separate form for changes right there in the panel door with the prints or ready somewhere easy, yeah, I can buy into that.

Last edited:
OkiePC, I like having the changelog in the code except when you work with others that tends not to work out. You have to have the latest file which I often find overlooked for small changes or emergency calls. I guess it comes down to the staff and how you implement and manage it. But I guess you cover that in your last paragraph.

In my previous job, I made almost daily a new version and kept a tight change record. I try to do the same in my new job. We are machine builders, our normal clients don't change our programs behind our backs.

Used one all the time

We used to use one all the time. It was a log book for any change, who requested it, who approved it, and so on. Remember backup programs need to be logged, we used to rename the orginal and keep it in case new changes don't work and they would have to go back to the original. when you had 10 guys with laptops we had to do something.o_O

I have seen the "changelog" used in the first rung comment.
Every change was date stamped and explained.
This has advantages because it goes with the logic, not too hard to keep up with.

+1 for AssetCentre.

We went through every kind of change-management under the sun here with mixed results. But in the end, with as many dudes with laptops working for as many gung-ho engineers as we have, no one method worked reliably.

The simple problem with any voluntary log system is that people, even (especially?) programmers, get lazy or careless.

By forcing people to get their files from a central server, even if that person fails to leave any comments about what was changed and why, then we at least can see WHO changed the file, exactly what they changed, and can easily retrieve the file before revision.

Another benefit is that it discourages the lazy tech from sticking a branch or AFI in the alarm rung instead of troubleshooting the field device. It's depressing to admit just how effective the "big brother" aspect of the software has been in reducing this kind of behavior.

-1 for Asset

reasons:

- expensive
- can not do robot backups compare
- locked down to RA equipment mainly.

+1 for AssetCentre.

We went through every kind of change-management under the sun here with mixed results. But in the end, with as many dudes with laptops working for as many gung-ho engineers as we have, no one method worked reliably.

The simple problem with any voluntary log system is that people, even (especially?) programmers, get lazy or careless.

By forcing people to get their files from a central server, even if that person fails to leave any comments about what was changed and why, then we at least can see WHO changed the file, exactly what they changed, and can easily retrieve the file before revision.

Another benefit is that it discourages the lazy tech from sticking a branch or AFI in the alarm rung instead of troubleshooting the field device. It's depressing to admit just how effective the "big brother" aspect of the software has been in reducing this kind of behavior.

We usually do this be the revision number on the program.
The changes in the PLC are documented and dated on the rung / rungs that have been changed. The program is then saved with a new revision number.
This way the original program can be checked in history.
Example:
Rewind V1.000
Rewind V1.001
Rewind V2.000
etc.
Requests for changes come through work orders.
Regards,
Garry
http://www.accautomation.ca

If you just want a simple form or method similar to that rather than management software, Microsoft OneNote, google Document, or some other shared/cloud based text, I like one note easy to screen shot, can make multiple tabs, pages, sub pages, sub-subpages and so on. I have not set OneNote up before for shared access but I am fairly certain that it can be done, it is an easy way for people to track changes and review what has been done and there is a good chance your company already has it in the Microsoft Office package.

Form wise, look at the CFR21-11 requirements for tracking code changes (it's super vague, but you want your form to give all information they require). It has other requirements for track and trace and operator actions.

Software version tracking wise, Studio 5000 doesn't play well with the major software solutions (Subversion, Git, etc) because it stores the project as a huge compressed binary file instead of as source code. You can still use them and put your changes in the commit comment. You can even export the project as an L5X and commit that to actually see the code changes made. I think they did this on purpose so people would have to buy Asset Center... Anyway, version control software meet the CFR21-11 requirement without any extra documentation.

I use a comment in the beginning of the main rung.
Date/Time stamped on what I did and why, with my initials on the end of the file name. I use a rev number for more than 1 change during the day.
The logic file is saved with a date....IE "logic name-012315-r1-ns.rss".

I was looking for a example or I will make one up my self. It is a form to track plc programming changes.
Here you go with an example Excel Spreadsheet Form that you can modify to fit your needs.

Last edited: