PLC connecting to webserver

oghovstad

Have a saia PCD3 plc with ethernet-interface, and want it to connect to my webserver.

The webserver hosts a database with meassurements (energy, temperature, etc) which are updated manualy every week through a html page. Now I want the PLC to post this information directly to the database.

One solution could be to let the plc open the web-page with the right parameters, something like this:
GET file.php?var1=23
Anyone who has been in to this before?

I don't know the specifics of your plc rig, but this project may be of interest to you.

Lightweight SCADA

It's scada that runs on a web server. It has trending capability so it should save information to a data base.

I haven't played with this one yet, but I believe it may be what you're looking for.

SAIA PCD3, ethernet and webserver

The aim of the project is mainly datalogging from PLC to a database, but I dont want the server to collect data from the PLC.

The main reason is this:
Imagine several sites with diferent setup, diferent variables. Then the databaseserver needs to know the setup of each plc to be able to collect all variables.
By letting the plc post its own data into a standarized database, then one site can post 5 variables, other sites migth post 25 variables.

Another reason to do it this way i security. In this way the webserver vil be on the outside the plc nettwork segment, and all communication trough the local firewall can be limited to be outbound.

And in the end I think it will be more robust. If a site is down then ther vil be no change to the server, and inserting a new site wil also require minimal configuration of the server.

One big problem now is that the Ethernet-functionality of SAIA PCDs is not too good documented. Have to be programmed with instruction lists. (Something like assembly)

I would realy like input on the consept.

... and of course if anybody has tried TCP/IP within SAIA PCDs, it would be nice to know...

ogh...

I've been anxiously waiting for someone to respond do this because is sounds interesting. But...

oghovstad said:
The aim of the project is mainly datalogging from PLC to a database, but I dont want the server to collect data from the PLC.

The main reason is this:
Imagine several sites with diferent setup, diferent variables. Then the databaseserver needs to know the setup of each plc to be able to collect all variables.
By letting the plc post its own data into a standarized database, then one site can post 5 variables, other sites migth post 25 variables.

I've been around/using PLCs for a long time but I'm a newbe to programming them. I wasn't aware that a plc could be scheduled to write to a database on its own. All of the ones we've used in the oil field are polled from an external program. Usually FIX or Wonderware. At my current workplace we use FIX32 connected to AB, Siemens, and a custom Modbus RTU for our gas pipeline. Fix had to be setup to know everything it was talking to, but not the plc confituration. It just polls for register values.

oghovstad said:
Another reason to do it this way i security. In this way the webserver vil be on the outside the plc nettwork segment, and all communication trough the local firewall can be limited to be outbound.

And in the end I think it will be more robust. If a site is down then ther vil be no change to the server, and inserting a new site wil also require minimal configuration of the server.

It's definately a good idea to keep all mission critical systems behind the firewall.

Since no one else has chimed in with their usual great ideas, it sounds like you may have to "roll your own" here. With the free databases available like PostgreSQL or MySQL on a database server and a php script to write to the web server it should be doable.

I'm curious. How is the data collected from the PLCs now ?

Since you are looking for a way to write information to a database, I'm picturing people taking readings on a clipboard and hand logging the data.

This could be the sticky part if programming libraries aren't available for your plc. This would be a good question for the manufacturer. Of course this would also require you to write your own code for the data collection.

oghovstad said:
I would realy like input on the consept.

Personally I like the idea. I like to see people take on a challenge to solve a problem and make operations more efficient.

Good luck.