PLC device networks

hbkalyoncu

Hi,
My knowledge about PLC networks is not good. i nedd a help about device networks. as i know deviceNet network is an open network based on CAN technology. in microprocessor based CAN networks some can drivers are used for the units connected to the network. and every node is smart (microcontroller based) if i want to connect sensors to the PLC based network bus what kind of interface modules are used (if used) for connection between the bus and the sensors ? how the PLC connected to the bus control the sensors. the sensors indivudially not smart units.

For Devicenet info goto http://www.odva.org

Sensors can either connect to a smart drop junction box or have devicenet built in.

At odva.org look in menu on left and goto Devicenet products and you can see sensors etc from different manufacturers and how they connect.

GO for AB "Devicenet" network.

Dear "hbkalyoncu",

As your need is to connect small devices like Sensors, annotators or Push buttons.
Go for the intelegent devices available in the market u will find many intelligent devices in the market by ABB, AB, Siemens, Omeron.

As far as the networking is concerned AB (Rockwell Automation) is having a network called “Device net” for such device connectivity condition is that you have to go for the AB sensors or actuators.

The second option is to use a small IO block called “compact IO” again a AB product which can be placed besides any non intelligent devices to make it intelligent and give device level connectivity with diagnostics. This can be connected to any network in AB family “control net”, “device net” (note that both are open networks) or use some in between routers and connect to Siemens- “Modbus” network (Open network).

For further information about devicenet and controlnet
log on to http://www.rockwellautoamtion.com
for modbus log on http://siemens.com

Generally, Modbus RTU and ASCII are fairly slow, but reliable if implemented properly.
If you are looking at Device Net, I would suggest the ODVA website where most things Device Net are listed. Various types and brands of devices can easily be implemented on the same network.
I would also suggest you have a good look at Omron PLCs. Omron's Device Net configurator is much much easier to use and configure than ABs. I have used both recently and would highly recommend the Omron configurator offering over the alternative from AB. I have used both to set up external devices and the AB configurator is really quite laborious and not as easy to use as Omron.
beerchug