IT question regarding wireless access to PLC device using a typical wireless router..

timothy585

Supporting Member
I know this can be done, but I can't get the router config right.

My goal is to physically connect(using an ethernet cable) a device(PLC, RTU, flow computer, whatever) to a LAN port on the wireless router and use my laptop's wifi connection to access that device through the wireless feature. Emulating both devices being on the same physical switch.

I picked up a typical home wireless router from a big-box store and did a little searching online, but can't find the info I need. I can config it to do pretty much anything I need...enabling/disabling DNS, DHCP, NAT, port-forwarding ,etc, but don't know the right setup to use.

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes it can be done
I think most of us have done it more than once
I have used a radio Ethernet extenders for long distance I/O connections
Even when I am on site I like to connect to the PLC system using WiFi that provides an isolation barrier in case something shorts out it also give me the ability to move around when doing startup’s and troubleshooting
There are many choices out there

Yes it can be done
I think most of us have done it more than once
I have used a radio Ethernet extenders for long distance I/O connections
Even when I am on site I like to connect to the PLC system using WiFi that provides an isolation barrier in case something shorts out it also give me the ability to move around when doing startup’s and troubleshooting
There are many choices out there

Can you explain more? I'm also facing this problem.

You are making things more complicated by getting a wireless router, you really wanted a wireless access point. Do a web search for 'how to set up a wireless access point'. If you want to use a wireless router, then web search for how to use therouteryoubought as a wireless access point.

I currently use this P2P dedicated wireless bridge and it works great when you have a physical connection on each end (laptop & PLC). What I want to do is expand the capability and connect the wireless router/access point in my vehicle instead of my laptop so I an move about freely with my laptop. My router can be setup as an access point, but it doesn't work with the standard config.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BQ2R66S4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had a ton of WiFi Access points, but these days I rely on a GL-iNet GL-1300.

Powered off USB-C, two physical LAN ports, good WiFi speed, easy to administer. And I was able to install my favorite tunneling software onboard ( ZeroTier) so I can administer it over the Internet even when I'm not physically connected to it wired or wireless.

The usual drawback to using WiFi to connect to your automation network is that often when we're doing commissioning we also want a connection the company WiFi network so we can get online for tech support and email and license activation and PLCTalk. Next thing you know you're piling multiple WiFi adapters into your PC's USB ports....

I've used one of these configured as an access point with great success. I believe it's a D-Link AC1200 wifi extender, but you can use the D-Link configuration app to change the operation to work as an access point.

I bought those cheap ($20 back then) Amazon WiFi routers and all I had to do was program the WiFi name and password.

I didn't change the IP from default or any settings in the router.

Connect my laptop to it with a forced IP on the laptop to match the subnet of the PLC and the signals go through the mismatched router invisibly.

I can put the same router on different control panels without any changes. That was my main concern starting this I would have to reprogram the router every time I used it, but it's invisible to the the laptop and PLC.