plc direct password

elevmike said:
...leads me to belive that there's another side to the story here.

Probably very true Mike. I looked at the Therm-o-seal website, and these look like very simple machines.

The question here is whether the machine does not do what it is advertised as doing and the extent and purpose of the OP's modifications to the machine. If it doesn't do what is advertised, or the salesman said it could do, then shame on Therm-o-seal. However, if the application is outside those parameters and the machine was not misrepresented, or the machine is modified for a purpose other than correcting machine deviation from its specs, then the customer my be the one up the proverbial creek.

Either way, IMO, it would still be in Therm-o-seal's best interests to work with the customer to solve the problem, even if the customer is at fault (for a fee of course).

If we had the whole story then the OP would probably get a more useful response from the forum.

The OP posted once, got us all in a tizzy and left. We might never know the specifics of this and for know I am withholding andy personal judgement of Thermoseal.

I took a look at their equipment and don't see much complication there. I would just erase it and reprogram the plc.

As a machine builder Thermo's attitude seems rude... When I build a machine and write a demo program I give it to the customer so he can cut and past it. It's just good business sense to do the right thing. I've only used password on one PLC and the guy is a bad credit risk(wrote us bad checks in the past). He finally payed his bill and I was happy to give him the pass word...

John

I just saw this and also suspect more is involved then originally stated. I have re-designed several older sealers that did not originally have a plc but the plc's I used were system pulls from other machinery...Why throw away a working plc when it is possible to use it to upgrade something else. Something as simple as a sealer should be easier to just write a program for rather than deal with existing undocumented programs.

Y'all know I get confused when y'all start with the math stuff but if a DL05 has 8 digits then it would have the possiblity of 8 to the power of 8, right? That would be 16,777,216 combinations. Y'all lost me, where does 10 come into it?

That said you could try the simple stuff as mentioned and get lucky but my calculations say it could take 194 hours if you could input the numbers once a second, at which point in this method you may hit the correct number would depend on luck.

Sad thing is there was a time that I did this, just "TO SEE". Its ok if you can have the plc sitting there and try a few combos a day but not worthwhile in most situations.

rsdoran said:
...if a DL05 has 8 digits then it would have the possiblity of 8 to the power of 8, right? That would be 16,777,216 combinations. Y'all lost me, where does 10 come into it?...

There are 10 possibilites (0-9) for each of the 8 digits...

if you tried one per second, that's a worst case of just under 70 weeks at 40 hours/week...

Last edited:
Y'all know I get confused when y'all start with the math stuff
No fancy math involved, simply counting. Start with a simple case of a one-digit password using the numbers 0 through 9. It's easy to see that there are ten possible passwords. Now go to a two-digit password. Possible passwords are the numbers 0 through 99; 100 possibilities. Continue the pattern out to 8 digits and you get the range of 0 through 99,999,999; 100 million possibilities.

Not that I'm condoning the theft of intellectual property, but the password is probably the same for every machine the company makes. It's also probably something easy for the field service people to remember.

Last edited:
OkiePC said:
There are 10 possibilites (0-9) for each of the 8 digits...

if you tried one per second, that's a worst case of just under 70 weeks at 40 hours/week...

Arghh!?!?!

Looks like I was off by a factor of ten...should be 100,000,000 or 695 weeks of trial and error!

I did not say more but that is what threw me, originally thought 8^8 but realized it should be 10^8; which someone mentioned but stated 10,000,000 and I got 100,000,000. I let it go because after several people stated 10 mil I was too confused.

If there were automationdirect.com refused to clear the memory of the DL05 PLC, another one could be purchased to replace it instead. Since the DL05 is inexpensive, the whole process would simply be annoying. Is it being proposed that automationdirect.com should not only refuse to restore the PLC to default condition, but also refuse to sell a new PLC to the end user in order to protect their OEM? Besides, you don't need to tell automationdirect.com where the PLC came from originally.

kittydog42 said:
If there were automationdirect.com refused to clear the memory of the DL05 PLC, another one could be purchased to replace it instead. Since the DL05 is inexpensive, the whole process would simply be annoying. Is it being proposed that automationdirect.com should not only refuse to restore the PLC to default condition, but also refuse to sell a new PLC to the end user in order to protect their OEM? Besides, you don't need to tell automationdirect.com where the PLC came from originally.

Automationdirect.com will wipe the memory or sell a new DL05 ASAP. Automationdirect.com does direct sales, they don't force people to work back through the OEM.

Please reread this thread & don't confuse any other posters with an incorrect quick scan of the thread.