PLC Fanuc Serial Com

ALID

Hello All,

I have a GE Fanuc PLC ( CPU: IC200CPUE05), we are using a serial communication link with SNP protocol to communicate Cimplicity with the PLC and also to go online with the Fanuc using PME V5.50. The physical link from the PC to the PLC is compossed of: PC-> USB/Serial Converter -> RS232 cable -> RS232/RS485 Converter -> RS485 cable -> PLC.

My problem is that i can not go online with the PLC while Cimplicty is running ( by the way no communication issues between Cimplicity and PLC), so when i try to connect with PME i get error 8502: coomunication subsystem unable to make connection ( one of the reasons of this error is that the serial port i am using to connect to the PLC is being used by another program in my case Cimplicity). So basiclly the only way to go online with the PLC is to stop Cimplicity.

Since i am new to this kind of configuration i was wondering if this problem has been noted in the past and if there is any solution to it.

Thanks

I agree i would have used an Ethernet Communication, but this is how the architecture was designed and the PLC is not actually next to the PC, it is on a skid in field so it's not an easy job to pull an ethernet cable to the PLC.