plc,hmi,dcs,scada

jhonnygaddar

i'm new to the field of automation..
can anyone kindly explain..what are the diffrences or similarities between these terms
plc
dcs
scada
hmi
it would be greatly helpful if its in detail

mickey...ive gone through wikipedia,still im confused..,
scada is a software that contains hmi..
scada is used along with plcs..
plcs and dcs are almost the same..
this is what i understood..is this correct??

We were through this a couple of months ago - specifically PLCs and HMI.

What class is this for??

The best way to find the answers, is to go on line and look for them. If you are taking a class you want to actualy learn so you understand; not just get answers to get by. The best of luck in your learning.

PLC: programmable Logic controller. the brain that conrol the function of machine parts, it was made to replace relays, timers and counter etc.

Scada: Super-visory Control And Data Acquisition. it is the software design that allow you to read values from PLCs through a PC monitor, it also allow you to write register values and read register value then programmatically visualize them graphically. etc. many engineers consider machines with Scada interface: CNC machines.

HMI: Human Machine Interface. similar to Scada, it is an LCD display usually rectangular in shape and it has function buttons on it that are connected to internal PLC bit to triger outputs. difference between HMI and Scada is that Scada is PC based monitoring system whereas HMI is eletronic and does not take alot of time to restart like PCs

I dont know much about DCS however I hear they are similar to plcs.. above is a brief explanation only and does not include all of the functions involved... as every one else suggested; do your research and you will know better.

the best way to learn PLC is to buy a PLC , a software, programming cable and alot of panadole tablets..(ADVIL isnt bad as well) and start the fun.

hope this help

Last edited:
DCS and PLC

Just to help clarify the difference between DCS Distributed Control System and PLC Programmable Logic Controller.
You need to look at the history. If you go back 20 years then DCS systems were BIG systems built by big companies like Foxboro, Honeywell and Bailey. They were used to control big plants like oil refineries and often used analogue I/O and PID control as well as "relay replacement" logic. At that time PLC's were aimed primarily at relay replacement. They tended to be small systems performing smaller tasks such as controlling a single machine.

Now times have changed. PLC's have advanced and are capable of analogue control and all the functionality of DCS systems. Furthermore, PLC's are mass produced in large quantities and have been designed to be cost competitive. DCS systems have advanced also but the result is that they now both cover the same territory.

my version

PLC is more or less machine oriented...When it comes to the case of controlling
a machine...PLC are the best....

DCS are mainly process oriented....for eg. if we want to control a Chemical plant...where there are lots of operations taking place, there are lots of inter-related control loops, and most importantly , places where falults can lead to catastrophic results, DCs are used for total plant control, and the PLC can be used as a part of the DCS

When it comes to the difference between DCS and SCADA.....DCS concentrates more on the control of the process, but SCADA concentrates moe on data gathering.....

I have also asked that question.but our friends give me suggestion that DCS mostly used in analog controlling and PLC for digtal controlling.It is clear now a days PLC 's come in different types which can easily control also Anlog.
Thanks Naeem ahmed from Pakistan