PLC Intro Course

JSan09

Hello everyone
I am currently working as a controls engineer and have been given the task to give an introductory PLC course for a customer.
I really haven't had teaching experience thus far. So, in your experienced opinion, which topics would be best to cover in this course? Considering it is supposed to be a basic course.

As of now, I haven't been told how much time we'll have; that's why I wouldn't want to waste time and resources with topics that won't be that useful.
This customer uses Allen Bradley PLCs and software per standard. (PLC 5 and ControlLogix, RSLogix 5/500/5000).

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :D

I'm not sure what to tell you to teach but I have given a lot of short courses over the years.

One thing you and your boss(es) need to understand and accept is the amount of time it takes to develop curriculum. It is always more than you think at the outset.

Mentioning that you have no teaching experience I would estimate that to do a good job, you will easily spend 10 to 20 hours preparing and creating for each hour of time your class will run. Then, after you run it once, you'll want to spend another 2-3 hours per hour cleaning up materials, deciding what worked and what didn't and revising everything.

It's usually only after the 3rd running you will get comfortable and start to feel confident in what you are doing.

So that's great if they are going to give you the time and pay you to develop a class. If not, I'd suggest to them they send the students to a developed class program.

We don't know the audience, without that it is hard to tailor a syllabus. So my primary advice would be to get that nailed down ASAP.

For example, are they interested in

• basic programming skills
    • ladder?
    • ST?
    • FBD?
  • how to connect devices?
    • analog devices?
      • level/flow/position/RTD input sensors?
      • analog outputs?
    • discrete devices?
      • input switches?
      • buttons?
      • photoeyes?
      • output coils?
    • via devices with communications?
      • Modbus?
      • CIP?
      • Serial?
      • Ethernet?
    • HMIs?
  • There are many more possible topics and tailoring option, e.g. what general industry is this for?
Whatever the focus, I would say you want to get to hands-on as quickly as possible. There is no substitute for the learning that occurs when we see logic respond to a physical button/switch/sensor or flash a physical light.

That means a workstation, a PLC (or emulator, if physical wiring is not a focus), and a copy Studio 5000/RSLogix5/500 per student; if they choose to pair up and not use them all that is fine, but everyone should be able to poke around and experiment.

Also note that Norm (@ndzied1) makes an extremely relevant point, the key phrase being "your boss(es) need to understand and accept."

TL;DR (less concrete stream of consciousness starts now;))

So if someone thinks they can save money by doing this in-house, they are pretty likely barking up the wrong tree. I am not saying you personally won't or can't do a good job, but there are members of this forum who already do this for a living, and can hit the ground running with a course tailored to the audience, including the hardware. The cost for the many many many hours of your time (while your plant goes into the proverbial hand-basket;)), plus the cost of any hardware and software for the hands-on*, it will take to make it worthwhile may be a wash compared to the cost of those courses, depending how big the class is.

One alternative that could save money overall would be to send you to a course so you can see how it is done.

* If the focus is programming relay logic, then maybe CCW is close enough, and the freebie version with its emulator, and maybe a few Micro800s and/or trainers to respond to buttons and make actual lights flash could keep that side of costs down, but you would still need a Windows box per student (or maybe they bring their own laptops?).

Welcome to the forum.

class is for your customer - ok.
who will be in your class? Maintenance, Engineers, corporate people?
maintenance is ok, engineers - maybe, it depends on what they want to do.
corporate people - i would say no.
find out what they know and understand, gets you prepared for what you need to teach.
find out what they want to know, helps even more.
LET everyone in the class know that this is an intro training class to help DEBUG logic, not to go and program. ALSO, tell them that changing timers, counters, data registers without knowing the machinery and its detailed operation is dangerous and should not be done.
the reason is that we had an engineer come into the plant to increase productivity and changes our machine speeds. they kept faulting out. the maintenance manager worked for the company who built our equipment found out what happened and it was not pretty. the new speeds almost burnt up the bearings and other items and he set them back to their designed speeds. the engineer soon learnt a valuable lesson when one machine burnt up because of the change and it cost 5 million to rebuild it.
he left soon after.
Machinery is designed for a certain task at a certain production rate by the manufacturer. Yes, you can alter timers, counters, data registers some, but you MUST know the machinery! looking at it for 5 minutes is not good enough, you must study it. Long winded i know, but this is my experience.
james

There's a downloadable class outline at corsairhmi.com. It covers theory with very little brand-specific emphasis.

I still cringe at the idea of teaching PLCs to people that do not already have some background in digital logic. It's like trying to be a concert piano player without playing the scales. I'm working with a customer now who wants to learn how to enter rungs but he doesn't yet understand the difference between a bool, a real, and an integer. He's just now learning to distinguish between a discrete and an analog input. Yet he wants to learn how to 'program the PLC'. Too many people like that that don't even own voltmeters trying to do the craft - it scares me.

So what to include in an introductory PLC class? That's a tough call. I agree with the need for them to quickly see a light flash, etc, but that needs to get balanced with some background. So my conclusion is that I don't have a one-size-fits-all answer. Sometimes a very short class with little material can cause more harm than good if somebody thinks they are hot stuff because they've had a small amount of training.

I wish you well.

First off, I really appreciate all the answers. Everyone taking the time to write a response goes to show how awesome this community is! :cool:
I spoke with my bosses and they gave me a list of points of interest that the customer sent. It goes as follows:

• Creating a new program
  • How to add new modules
  • Create routines and subroutines
  • Basic instruction description
  • Tags and UDTs
  • Hands-on practice
That appears to be their interest for the time being. The company will provide what is needed for the takers of the course, such as PLCs, buttons, lights and all that.

Since those are the customer's requirements, I'd say that is a considerable weight off our back.

Thanks again! I hope to be able to contribute to the community going forward!

Hi :
I wrote a small course in spanish for SLC 500, that can be change to Clogix very easy.

Send me your a PM with your email and It will be yours.

My course is for 3 or four days, 7 hours per day.

saludos,

william

This seems to be happening a lot these days - as seen on this forum and elsewhere.
It's dawning on bosses that there is a massive skills shortage in this area.

But I am finding that 'quick' courses are not working very well unless the student is prepared to burn the midnight oil alone for months after.

I see most jobs advertised say something like Maintenance electrician or maintenance engineer wanted - must be able to program PLC's, as if it's just a little add-on skill.
And sometimes it says, training will be given... that's where the OP's case comes in.

In my case, I have tried to train a few over the last 10 years with mixed results.
I'm not being rude but the saying 'you can't put in what God left out' is true.
Some will get it and self train after the initial push in the right direction and the others will never learn because they don't want to.

I'm teaching another for he first time. Iv hardly ever had so much as an apprentice in my 21 years in industrial work. Since Iv started my company over the past year or so. One of the regular roles Iv gotten is to literally sit at a plant with a younger maintenance electrician and help him with anything from wiring to programming. They pay me good for it, but I couldn't imagine trying to teach any more than one at a time. We are tasked with slowly upgrading the control systems in the plant doing little bits during cleaning cycles. Defiantly a good place for teaching and learning.

In doing this, iv been thinking about the possibility of offering a sort of "personalized training" where a person could ask about a specific subject they want help with, then Id research and present on my shops test bench or in their facility. Or offer training specific to their program(s) or situation.

The individual I'm "helping to learn" has gone and taken the classes Iv recommended and is currently taking more. I cant replace that and encourage him to take all the training he can. I just help him put into practice what he is learning as lacking confidence stops a lot of folks from ever proceeding.

There is no curriculum other than the task of the day and the best practices to accomplish such tasks in a live plant environment. I'm seeing a lot more facilities dealing with maintenance staff skill decline and only very few people interested in learning. I'm just thinking it might be a good opportunity to offer a new service that might be appealing to local plants looking to train new maintenance techs to work ion their equipment.

I worked for a systems house, one of our blue chip customers asked me to provide a 4.5 day course on Siemens PLC's at one of their plants, fine, but as this may only happen just the once the cost of producing documentation for them to keep would have put the cost out of the window, if you work for the company & teaching your own members of the maintenance team fine, the costs of producing some form of training handouts, after the course (which the engineers felt was good) there was a reply from the customer that they would have expected some handout documentation, this would have doubled the cost of the course as it appeared to be a one off, so if you are thinking of doing this as a regular part of your job then think about the cost of producing the expected documentation & how many customers you are likely to get to make it pay. More recently, I did some training of maintenance engineers but as I was part of the team, I could produce the required handouts as it was sort of hidden within my day to day work.

... I still cringe at the idea of teaching PLCs to people that do not already have some background in digital logic. It's like trying to be a concert piano player without playing the scales. I'm working with a customer now who wants to learn how to enter rungs but he doesn't yet understand the difference between a bool, a real, and an integer. ...

... The company will provide what is needed for the takers of the course, ...

... I'm not being rude but the saying 'you can't put in what God left out' is true. ...

We still do not know the audience. One of the reasons I've been able make the meager progress I have in PLC programming is a one-week course I took in microcontrollers* nearly four decades ago. What tools will they bring to the course?

In the syllabus from your bosses, I don't see things like bits, integers, and floats. I also don't see a place where understanding the scan cycle would fit in, and the scan cycle is crucial to understanding PLC programming. I'll bet any Unix-head who knows the AWK program could pick up PLC programming quickly, because AWK has a built-in scan cycle that is essentially the same as a PLC. Perhaps the audience already knows that stuff; if not, I cringe with @Corsair. To program, as with any language, we need to know both vocabulary (bits, bytes, words, etc.), and grammar/syntax (rungs, instructions i.e. modifiers, etc.).

One of the sweetest places to cover some of that knowledge is @Ron Beaufort's bootcamp video series (cf. this link), which I recommend here about once or twice a month, along with the ladder logic patterns (cf. this link) that are used over and over. It comprises about a dozen videos and takes less than 2h to watch. The concepts of "bit box" and scan cycle covered in just the first handful provide a solid foundation for the student to build a model in their head for how a PLC works and what it does, because that is what one needs to program. Making sure everyone coming to the class has watched those videos, so they come to class with either understanding or useful questions, would be a prerequisite of any course I would teach.

The only content I would add, on a poster with large letters, is this:
Always assume
(A) that the PLC cares not a whit what you want it to do, and

(B) that the PLC is faithfully, inexorably and mercilessly doing exactly what you told it to do.
The sport of programming is nothing if not humbling, and anyone who attempts programming without those assumptions as the central tenets of their journey is doomed to eternal confusion. They may not sink in right away, but once first contact with them occurs in practice and is recognized, it will not be forgotten.

* my resume says it was an 8085; I remember the machine code program and data had to fit in 256 bytes, and the teacher's comment on my final project was "Compact as hell" (which explains a lot ;)).

First off, I really appreciate all the answers. Everyone taking the time to write a response goes to show how awesome this community is! :cool:
I spoke with my bosses and they gave me a list of points of interest that the customer sent. It goes as follows:

• [*]Creating a new program
  • How to add new modules
  • Create routines and subroutines
  • Basic instruction description
  • Tags and UDTs
  • Hands-on practice
That appears to be their interest for the time being. The company will provide what is needed for the takers of the course, such as PLCs, buttons, lights and all that.

Since those are the customer's requirements, I'd say that is a considerable weight off our back.

Thanks again! I hope to be able to contribute to the community going forward!

That is a large open ended process. I can teach someone to write a program to blink an output on a micrologix1100 in half an hour. But that doesn't mena they can create a program to utilize the offsite SQL database to match barcodes to product.

Unless you mean quite literally clicking *file *new, and then determining hardware from there.