PLC Intro Course

I've been thrown into these situations (kept looking up, expecting to see the bus) a few times. I don't bother to prepare anything, except to have some copies of the applications that they use.

I just walk into the room and ask the attendees what it is they want to take away from the training. Then I tailor what I'm going to say to meet their needs, rather than try to guess their needs and teach them what I think is important.

If they answer "troubleshooting", then I open up their program, show basic navigation, cross-reverencing, searching, etc., from physical output back through the logic (and how the various instructions solve), back to the physical inputs. "The code doesn't break; the real world does."

If they are looking to program from scratch, then I teach them best-practice techniques for data and logic structure, using one of their projects as an example of what-to-do/what-not-to-do. Always stress the importance of presentation (e.g., HMI) because if the operator doesn't understand what is going on, it isn't right even if it is. "Form follows function; function follows form".

Halfway through the time, I ask, "what are the biggest problems that you're seeing / hardest things you are asked to do?". Then I attempt to solve/demo that example. If there's more time, and they do have laptops, I flip that and have them show me how to do it, while I critique/advise/guide. Building "muscle memory" is really the only way they'll actually acquire skills.

This really only works for small class sizes (1-3 students). More than that, and you do need to have stuff prepared, specific tasks that they need to perform, with step-by-step instructions. The problem with those kind of training courses is that the students only really learn how to follow directions, not how to reason their way through the issues.

So my best advise to you is: call your client and ask them what they want to get out of your "introductory PLC course". Nail down the class size and duration (2 hours | 2 days | 2 weeks have very different expectations and outcomes.

Good luck!

Forget about the subject matter for the moment. You are tasked to teach a subject matter for a customer and/or his employees. Questions you need answered before developing any plan:
1- Who is the target audience?
2- What is their experience with the subject material?
3- What does your customer expect from a graduate of your course?
4- How much time is alloted - a day, a week, more?
5-How many students?
6- Do they know each other and the other's involvement with the subject matter?
These are very basic questions for presenting info to any group on any subject.
Now, add the subject matter: AB PLCs on multiple platforms.
Can the company supply PLC trainers and/or hardware or are you expected to do this? What about laptops to interface with the processors? What about the software?
You'll need answers to these questions at a minimum before developing any kind of training agenda.

Let us know how you make out...

It's essential you understand who your audience is.
Before anyone is creating any sort of program, the candidate should be comfortable with digital logic on paper (AND, NAND, OR etc), ideally candidates understand the physical side as well of a PLC (input requirements voltage/current/speed etc no good someone trying to get a program working when they can't even verify they're actually getting an input etc) and basics such as using Normally high logic for stop/limit inputs etc.

The above for the same reason you don't teach someone how to design electronic circuits without knowing ohms law.