PLC is unrecognized in RSLinx Gateway

KevinDen

I connected a 1769-L38ERM to my PC via USB cable. I have 2 known problems:
  1. PLC is listed as Unrecognized Device with a yellow question mark. [3]
  2. Unable to view modules connected to PLC in RSLinx. [3]

I tried to troubleshoot on my own but to no avail. What I have done:
  1. I have enabled "Enable EDS File Automatic Upload". RSLinx shows a blue progress bar for about 10 seconds or so beside the PLC icon; Registering EDS etc etc [1]
  2. I have tried to Right click "Upload EDS file from device". Rockwell Automation's EDS Wizard window pops up. I completed the steps with no errors at the final page of the Wizard. [2]
  3. I tried to install the EDS manually by copying and pasting the EDS files and ico files from C:\Users\ USERNAME \AppData\Local\Temp\RSI_EMBEDDED_EDS to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Rockwell\EDS and C:\Users\Public\Documents\Rockwell\EDS\Icons. [4]
  4. In RSLinx -> Configure Drivers -> deleted AB_VBP-1 (Virtual backplane) and added it back again.
  5. Restarted my PC.

After all these steps, it still does not work.
Strangely enough, I am able to communicate with the PLC with Studio 5000. For example: download/upload ladders and read/write/config with Studio 5000. Studio 5000's "discover modules" does not work which I think is related to this issue.
This PC RSLinx is revision 4.00.01 CPR 9 SR 10.0
Below are related images.

1.jpg 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

One time I had a similar issue. It was caused by some kind of ip address conflict. Is the PLC plugged into an Ethernet network? Is the computer? If so then try unplugging both PLC and computer from the network. Just connect the PLC to the computer via USB and see what happens

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Did you fix your problem?
If no, just some advice: check the basics.
Do not use USB hub, and make sure it is not ad old PC with old USB chipset and also use a good quality SB cable with good shielding.

The RA Knowledgebase link below has 16 answers that could possibly be a solution. You will need a TechConnect access to view.

ID: QA14426 | Access Levels: TechConnect
RSLinx Classic USB or VBP Driver: Software Cannot See Controller or Module

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/532349/loc/en_US#__highlight

TechConnect? I don't think I have access to that. I don't know much about this TechConnect. I will see what I can do.

One time I had a similar issue. It was caused by some kind of ip address conflict. Is the PLC plugged into an Ethernet network? Is the computer? If so then try unplugging both PLC and computer from the network. Just connect the PLC to the computer via USB and see what happens

No. The PLC is not connected to the Ethernet network. The computer too, is not connected to any Ethernet network or internet network.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Did you fix your problem?
If no, just some advice: check the basics.
Do not use USB hub, and make sure it is not ad old PC with old USB chipset and also use a good quality SB cable with good shielding.

Hello and thank you. Unfortunately, not yet. I am not using a USB hub. Just PLC to USB cable and USB cable to PC. I've check on the cable and it seems fine. Data is able to transfer from PLC to PC. I am able to config the PLC from the PC via USB cable with Studio 5000. I am also able to read input and write output with studio 5000.

I think the issue is PC related, but I am not sure what is the cause.