PLC Ladder Logic for Vision Systems

higginsl

I am slowly becoming the goto Vision Systems person for my facility. The cameras that I have been installing seem like they take a while to "process" the image and I thought it might be the way the logic is written.
I was wondering if anyone had done any work with any vision systems. And if they had any Code that I could see.
The cameras claim to be high speed ... I am taking 4 different images per part .... once the first image passes the tooling goes to the next position . This is not on a conveyor system. It is on a fixture, holding a metal part ... additional parts are loaded .... the camera verifies the additional parts are in the correct location during the whole process. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Higginsl:
yes, i have done vision system in my plant.
I have worked with only one brand Cognex (www.cognex.com) they have plc program examples on their web page, I use only RSlogix 5000 with controllogix and compactlogix plcs.
In my case cameras are ethernet/ip compatible and they are attached to plcs network.
Please be sure that your cameras are 100% network compatibles with your plcs.

I'm expecting to use a new brand SICK and the guy from SICK was here few days ago and they will provide me plc program examples and a camera for testing.

I am slowly becoming the goto Vision Systems person for my facility. The cameras that I have been installing seem like they take a while to "process" the image and I thought it might be the way the logic is written.
I was wondering if anyone had done any work with any vision systems. And if they had any Code that I could see.
The cameras claim to be high speed ... I am taking 4 different images per part .... once the first image passes the tooling goes to the next position . This is not on a conveyor system. It is on a fixture, holding a metal part ... additional parts are loaded .... the camera verifies the additional parts are in the correct location during the whole process. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

My recommendation is to take some training classes for the systems you're working with. Vision can be fairly complex and their are ways to optimize how images are processed. If you can find a training class in your area, bring your application details with you. They can probably show you some ways to processing time.

Pattern searches can take a while, if you're just verifying that certain features are present in a fixed area then I would a fairly quick cycle.

The main things I've found that cause "slow" vision processing are:

1. Larger-than-necessary field-of-interest
2. Excessive number of tools

If you're looking for a given feature in the camera's entire field of view, shrinking the inspection window to only where you would expect that feature to be will improve inspection time.

Also, the more tools you have, the longer it will take to process the inspections (duh), however, I've had jobs with over a dozen tools and still was able to process in less than a second.

Speed largely depends on the camera you're using, the way you have the jobs set up, and in some cases the ladder logic can put false constraints on it. Without seeing your programming, knowing which PLC you're using or knowing which camera you're using, it's hard to pin down an exact cause.

I have done a fair amount of vision integration and programming too, most with cognex, but some keyence too. Also IFM...:angr:

need to know more specifics about your setup.

want to know more specifics with regards to your build.
g.png

Never used a sick vision sensor.

what kind of evaluation times are you seeing?

If the individual inspection times for each of the 4 pictures are long, then you probably want to look at your tooling and area of interest windows.

Higginsl:
yes, i have done vision system in my plant.
I have worked with only one brand Cognex (www.cognex.com) they have plc program examples on their web page, I use only RSlogix 5000 with controllogix and compactlogix plcs.
In my case cameras are ethernet/ip compatible and they are attached to plcs network.
Please be sure that your cameras are 100% network compatibles with your plcs.

I'm expecting to use a new brand SICK and the guy from SICK was here few days ago and they will provide me plc program examples and a camera for testing.
can you share the documentation for the whole project including logic of plc