PLC Power Supply Requirements.

Speedy8486

I am trying to get a more intimate understanding of hardware requirements when setting up a PLC Program that utilizes multiple cards. I was told that one thing to check on is to ensure that the proper power supply is utilized. The system i am building uses a Compact Logix 1769 L33ER controller which has a built in power supply with 8 Additional cards.

Shouldn't the one built in power supply from the L33ER controller be enough to power that many cards or would a second power supply be a good idea to add? Any advice or terms to look for when conducting research on how to know what the power requirements for a system based on the cards and number of cards used would be greatly appreciated.

Shouldn't the one built in power supply from the L33ER controller be enough to power that many cards

Welcome to PLC Talk

The L33er is just a CPU and does not come with a power supply, you would need to add/buy one, depending on the size and voltage requirements

Below are your options

1769-PA2 L3x & L3y CompactLogix Power Supplies 120/240 VAC Input 2 Amp @ 5 VDC Output
1769-PA2K L3x & L3y CompactLogix Power Supplies 120/240 VAC Input 2 Amp @ 5 VDC Output - Conformally Coated
1769-PA4 L3x & L3y CompactLogix Power Supplies 120/240 VAC Input 4A @ 5VDC, 2A @ 24VDC
1769-PA4K L3x & L3y CompactLogix Power Supplies 120/240 VAC Input 4A @ 5VDC, 2A @ 24VDC - Conformally Coated
1769-PB2 L3x & L3y CompactLogix Power Supplies 24 VDC Input 2 Amp @ 5 VDC Output
1769-PB2K L3x & L3y CompactLogix Power Supplies 24 VDC Input 2 Amp @ 5 VDC Output - Conformally Coated
1769-PB4 L3x & L3y CompactLogix Power Supplies 24VDC Input 4A @ 5VDC 2A @ 24VDC
1769-PB4K L3x & L3y CompactLogix Power Supplies 24VDC Input 4A @ 5VDC 2A @ 24VDC - Conformally Coated

With the 8 other cards, would I need to figure out the current draw for each card to make sure that the power supply gives enough for all the cards to run properly or is it simply a matter of checking the voltage and amp requirements for each card and making sure each one doesn't need more than what the power supply says it gives?

You need to calculate the power budget required for each card and also determine if there is a specific location a card needs to be from the power supply. Some cards need to be no more than X distance from the power supply.

You need to both add up the total 24V and 5V consumption of all the cards, and factor in the distance from the power supply (the "power supply distance rating").

There are tables and charts to help in the Selection Guide for CompactLogix, and there are selection tools from RA that can help as well.

The best of those is called Integrated Architecture Builder. It's a good way to lay out a system, determine the power requirements, and select the correct part numbers and accessories.

You need to both add up the total 24V and 5V consumption of all the cards, and factor in the distance from the power supply (the "power supply distance rating").

There are tables and charts to help in the Selection Guide for CompactLogix, and there are selection tools from RA that can help as well.

The best of those is called Integrated Architecture Builder. It's a good way to lay out a system, determine the power requirements, and select the correct part numbers and accessories.

This will be a big help moving forward thank you.