PLC recommendation - Laser barrier

richleva

Hello,

I'm looking to developing a laser barrier system using measuring laser sensors, These lasers will give me either 4-20mA or 0-10V. if someone walks through the laser barrier, the PLC would see a change from the laser and trigger an output. I'm looking for small compact PLC, preferably Allen Bradley.

-Needs to be fast a enough to see and detect a slight change from the laser, hopefully this wont be an issue?

-Need about 4 or 5 analogue inputs and 5-6 digital outputs and inputs

-looking for something about the size of a Kleenex box

Can someone provide recommendations for The right PLC and Laser type?

Thanks guys

Would something like a light curtain work?

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ains/Access_Control_Barriers_(Body_Protection)

As far as the PLC, there's a lot of choices. I'm hearing good things about the click line from AD, although haven't tried it out yet. And there's always Micrologix. Depending on the communication and how many inputs/outputs/expansion cards you need, would determine the final size, but I think it'd be pretty close to a Kleenex box. There's many different configurations

Digital outputs would be faster, and if you are only looking for personnel detection would be cheaper as well. You don't seem to looking for actual distance. Why over-complicate things needlessly?

Why analogue , are you going to use the distances that are measured? If not than digital laser sensors are probably much cheaper.
Second your talking about a barrier, that implies that its safety rated.

If you want low cost and small size look at the Velocio PLC velocio.net Free software 12 Digital In, 12 Digital Out and 12 Analog IN (0-5V, 0-10V or 4-20mA) $149

I haven't used them, but asked many questions and they are very responsive with replies.

Hello,

I'm looking to developing a laser barrier system using measuring laser sensors, These lasers will give me either 4-20mA or 0-10V. if someone walks through the laser barrier, the PLC would see a change from the laser and trigger an output. I'm looking for small compact PLC, preferably Allen Bradley.

-Needs to be fast a enough to see and detect a slight change from the laser, hopefully this wont be an issue?

-Need about 4 or 5 analogue inputs and 5-6 digital outputs and inputs

-looking for something about the size of a Kleenex box

Can someone provide recommendations for The right PLC and Laser type?

Thanks guys

Any reason you need an analog output? Also, if this involves operator safety at any level, you're going to need to use a rated safety detection device with all the appropriate interface equipment. Generally Canada is pretty thorough on their safety requirements.

P.S. Just about any PLC will be able to pick up an analog change.

If you want low cost and small size look at the Velocio PLC velocio.net Free software 12 Digital In, 12 Digital Out and 12 Analog IN (0-5V, 0-10V or 4-20mA) $149

I haven't used them, but asked many questions and they are very responsive with replies.

Those Velocio.net products do look kind of cool. I'll try the software out. But the lack of anything other than RS232 and USB for communications makes me think it wouldnt do too well. they need to at least get an Ethernet port... very cheap and compact tho. reminds me of the din mount TBOX I have dealt with a few for a customer

http://www.servelec-semaphore.com/products/t-box/t-box-scada-alarm.php

the TBOX though has ethernet, rs232 & rs485. and also an optional built in 3g modem and a builtin webserver that can act as the HMI.